View Single Post
Last Gasp in Kansas
Unread 02-02-2024, 10:43 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,875 Times in 3,156 Posts

Default Last Gasp in Kansas

After enduring bitter cold and deep snow that stole our Iowa and Missouri bird season endings, we made a last gasp hunt to Kansas when we saw a break in the weather -- and the weather helped to make this a memorable hunt. With sunny skies, light breezes (yes, on the prairie!), and temperatures warm enough to make you take a break at noon to cool off, we had a memorable hunt, memorable for the final take on our bird season, if not for large numbers of birds.

Birds were scarce, but we found enough to keep us keen. These birds were veterans and knew every dirty trick in the book, often flushing wild and scattered...and in thick, knarly cover that seldom offered a good shot. Still, we were hunting one last time and felt blessed to be out after the foul weather we'd had.

Here are a few pictures from our hunt:

1. Rill encountered her first armadillo. The warm weather had them out in force and they distracted the dogs to no end.

2. The dogs could stay in the cabin with us, making for enjoyable evenings. Aspen really liked being able to rest on the couch.

3,4&5. When we did encounter birds, they often were in places that made for difficult shooting. Although I did not distinguish myself, I made a shot or two that made it easier to sleep at night.

6. Rill's first season has gone well, in spite of low bird numbers and limited chances. Here she pins a single in some heavy brush. Try as I might to honor her work, there were many times that no shots were offered...or, I missed. She's a good girl, and never seems to hold a grudge.

7&8 Taking breaks to enjoy the day is what makes our hunts so enjoyable. We hunt hard, but we also take time to just be content in wonderful places doing what we love.

9&10 What it's about, this hunting thing that captures our souls and keeps us going...and hoping for another season to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5877.jpg (536.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5884.jpg (530.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5888.jpg (569.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5889.jpg (622.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5902.jpg (539.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5905.jpg (484.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5917.jpg (586.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5924.jpg (559.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5927.jpg (514.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5940.jpg (488.3 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: