View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2024, 09:38 AM   #18
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,114 Times in 427 Posts

I have studied TPS on the subject, and as I read it, the Parker Laminate barrels were intended(?) to be used on Grades 2,3, and 4. The production records they give seem to support this. However, as Dean has pointed out before, there seem to be a few higher grade guns that were fitted with them. What makes them hard to track is that, to me, it appears that Parker tended to view their own Laminate barrels as superior to others in that they installed them on Damascus Grade guns along with normal Damascus grade appropriate barrels. I think that may be in line with the above note that they are a separate form of Damascus (Tonsin).

I have two lifters with Parker Laminate barrels and am negotiating for another. The two I now own are split. One appears in the serialization book as a Damascus grade and one as a Laminate grade. However, they both have original laminate barrels, even though there is no mention in the Letters. I actually obtained a Letter on the one I am trying to buy, and it Lettered as a Damascus gun and is shown in the serialization book as such.

About a year ago, I searched through old posts here, and quickly located about a dozen guns shown in posts which were recorded as Damascus guns but had original Parker Laminate barrels. Compared to the number of L guns listed in the records, this number just in one quick search session seems significant. We know Parker put a lot of effort into setting up and making these barrels and they prominately reported on this fact at the time. It had to be a point of pride to them. It would only be logical I think that they pushed their use. There is no way to know with the records we have, but I think they may have simply used them as a Damascus equal on their mid grade guns.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote