Thread: Nut Boring
View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2023, 08:13 AM   #15
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Parker and most gun makers brazed or soldered their tubes together, then constructed the lugs separately. Highest quality barrels, such as chopper lump, are tubes with the lugs an integral part of the forging, machined and them soldered together. Unlike the barrel failure of the Repro, in another thread, Chopper lump barrels can't "come apart".

It seems likely to me that the two tubes and lug were brazed together and then finish machined as a unit. All of mine seem to have a brass/spelter coloration indicating a much higher temp than the solder on the ribs. I assumed them to be furnace brazed in some type of fixture

"The purchased tubes likely only got one, maybe two rough boring operations, before assembly. reaming and chamber cutting was almost certainly done when the two tubes were now a barrel set. Chamber reaming, and finally rim cutting, were done before fitting to the receiver."
This choking sequence doesnt seem to allow for concentricty if the barrels were bent to regulate in the last third as is often discussed for point of impact. maybe im mixing things up on this point. Since the muzzles usually appear concentric, I assumed they were choked before assembly. Maybe the pilot can follow the curve as it is slight. Can you clarify Edgar?
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote