View Single Post
Unread 10-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #40
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,147 Posts

When I was growing my game in the target world, I learned a lot from the older guys in the game. Steve Carmichael, Earl Scripture, Dan Bonillas, etc.
Steve C. told me that the more gun movement you made, the more chance you had of missing the target.
The challenge with the "little guns" for me has always been slowing the 12 ga target gun muscle memory input that gets applied to the little gun.
I like to start the dove season here with something different like the .410, or in this year's case, a somewhat diminutive Parker 16 hammer gun.
I started the dove season with 4 misses in a row with the 16.
The bore size is less of an issue than the weight and dynamics of the "little guns", and is something I sometimes struggle with.
I started my target shooting career with a Model 12 30" vent rib trap gun, that I also used on ducks.
As a kid, I shot that gun quite well! Then a svelte little 6 lb 20 ga SxS came into my life, and a light bulb came on. Less input, more game birds in the bag.
Then a Nitro Express .410 dropped into my collection, and later a beautiful little NID .410.
The need for a light touch and minimalist input really came into focus with the .410s.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote