View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Milton, when I was a kid, we had a squirrel dog (Brownie) that was a real treat to hunt over. She would scent squirrels to the side of the tree where they climbed up and then scan the tree tops for them. She could "trail" them by sight through the tree tops, all the time barking so that we could find her. Eventually the squirrel would stop in the top of a tree or go to a den. It's a wonderful way to hunt squirrels, especially for a kid -- lots of action. Back a few years ago grouse hunting in Kentucky during the late February season, I would run into squirrel hunters with mountain curs that knew how to hunt. There are still pockets of guys who breed and train squirrel dogs, but they are few and far between.

If you ever get to go with a good squirrel dog, do it(!)
Sounds a bit different to how our squirrels behave. Squirrel hunting and pretty much small game hunting is dead in my area. You should see the fox squirrel population we have down here. Last year when we was deer hunting I seen 3 white ones looked about the size of a house cat, chasing each other around a tree. We dont shoot fox squirrels here so they are pretty common except the red ones you will mostly see the white/silver ones and the black and white ones and sometimes the solid black ones. I have more fun hunting squirrels than probably anything else, for me it just feels more active plus they are pretty interesting to watch you never know what a squirrel is going to do. I have noticed pitbulls are very good at treeing squirrels I have read its because they have a high prey drive.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post: