View Single Post
Unread 03-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #20
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

When I was working in the northern oil patch much of my business was in a remote town that was pretty isolated. Kind of a company town that pretty much everybody was employed by companies servicing two large oil companies. I lived about an hour away in a larger town, but spent 3 or 4 days a week there. The two companies owned enough nice houses to station all their staff in town. One of the companies owned a large airplane that ferried the two companies partial shifts back and forth several times a week for more than 10 years and the employees worked a two week in/two out shift. Almost all the employees' families lived in large southern areas while the guys lived "alone" in their free company house while on shift.
Well, as happens in that business there was a serious downturn in oil prices and like all the other companies those two had to cut costs. They suddenly got rid of the airplane, ended the housing allowance, and forced everyone to move their families up to the company houses. Nobody was hiring so if they wanted to keep working they didn't have much choice. What a mess! Guys trying to move long term girlfriends out, sometimes with kids, to make room for the southern families, wives meeting their husbands girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, sometimes ex-ex-girlfriends, little Billy asking mom "why does Tommie at the new school look just like me?" By far most of the guys were faithful family men, but even their wives had doubts and questions when they saw what was going on. A lot of guys were probably locking up their guns and ammo to keep it away from their wives, but for a much different reason.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post: