View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #24
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
.... And saying you should get the barrels looked at is because they are very obviously hot caustic salt blued. Which, allow me to educsted you on, is BAD for doubleguns because the temperatures needed for this process can and usually will soften and compromise the solder joints of the ribs. Resulting in loosened ribs, and rusting between the tubes inside the barrel set. Not to mention it also looks like crap.

Not to disagree with Brian, he has a lot more experience and expertise than I do, but those barrels might not have been caustic salt blued, in my opinion. They could have been done by the Belgian type of blue which is not intrusive. Belgian type blues are darker and shinier than slow rust bluing.

I noticed that the barrels are pretty much soaked with oil. This could result in the shiny and dark appearance. The pictures may not be perfect which could also create a false impression. I believe that we need the barrels in hand to definitively identify the method of bluing.

The case colors do not mimic Parker colors but aren’t bad. It’s hard for me to imagine that someone who has the expertise to case color a gun would salt blue the barrels of a double.

Just my thoughts.

As far as the gun, a 16 bore 0 frame is nothing to sneeze at. They make great game guns. I wish I owned one. Enjoy yours Mark and welcome to the Parker community.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: