View Single Post
Unread 02-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #8
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,196 Times in 276 Posts

Ted,

Welcome.

You do some neat stuff. You remind me of a very good friend of mine and hunting companion, Jerry Czech originally from the Schnectady NY area, but lived in Webster NY just about a 1/2 mile from the south shore of Lake Ontario. A great place for migrating birds of prey in the spring. He had a federal license to trap and band hawks. He was also the Curator of Natural Science at the Rochester Museum and Science center.

He also had at various times and properly licensed a peregrine falcon, goshawk and red tailed hawk.

In addition to hunting ducks and geese with him, we also hunted wild pigeons year round to supply food for his hawks. His gun of choice was a 16 gauge Ithaca model 37 pump with a poly choke. He rarely missed with that gun. He estimated he shot several thousand pigeons with that gun.

He was also a very accomplished taxidermist who did that work for the museum and a fantastic artist of birds and wildlife using water colors. I'll post some pictures of his work in a day or two.
We spent a lot of time hunting together. I also went bird trapping with him. His wife said I was the only one who he would take with him.

Sadly, Jerry died about 8 or 9 years ago. Way too soon.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post: