Thread: Opening Chokes
View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #33
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Paul

It’s conceivable that Remington had a nesting fixture made to position the barrels properly for choke work from the muzzle.

That said, it would HAVE to be done to a choke that has already been ground/cut relative to the bore/breech face just awaiting final size, otherwise how in the world would they know ‘where’ the chokes or the bores are?

It occurs to me that the water table would have to be datum “A” and the breech face of the barrel would be datum “B” leaving the chokes ‘somewhere’ relative to that, even if positioning of the chokes/bores required adjustment after the datums are established.

I can envision a couple ways to skin that cat so far as fixtures are concerned.

You mentioned that you’re doing choke mods from the muzzle & believe me, I’m not doubting that at all and I’m not doubting the integrity of your work whatsoever.

Respectfully though - how are you tramming the bore and how do you determine geometry relative to the breech face before mod?

William - don’t underestimate yourself, you are asking the right questions.

You are correct, any choke work is only going to result in a longer straight section unless a reamer is ground with proper geometry.

If I get serious about altering a choke, the very first thing I will do is cast the choke area so I can see just what it is I’m working with so far as choke geometry is concerned.

If I can steer you in one direction with respect to machining..it sounds funny but, forget the numbers..obviously size matters however within the world of professional machining & manufacturing, it’s all about geometry.

A perfectly sized choke doesn’t amount to anything if you don’t know where that hole is relative to the other functional elements, in this case..Datum “A” (watertable) & Datum “B” (breech face)

In practical use this is tantamount to your hand placement acting as Datum “A”, cheek acting as Datum “B”, & shoulder acting as Datum “C”.

Think about it, what is this doing and why is consistent mount along with firm placement so crucial?

Because you are handling the manufacturers Datum ‘A” (watertable), Datum “B” Breech face, and Datum “C” (chokes)

If the manufacturers intended design is not wielded properly what happens?

You miss

(Obviously this ignores eye coordination etc)

I will respectfully side with Parker on this one ~ all choke work should be done from the breech.

That said, I approach this from a manufacturers perspective so take it for what it’s worth.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote