Thread: New 10 ga owner
View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

A mec 600jr and for the 2 7/8 you don't need a short kit. If you find a good deal on a used one but it's not a 10ga, the kit to change it to 10ga will cost a bit over a $100 so keep that in mind. I like the fold crimp, but that's just me. When the ends of the shells get bad you can always cut them back and load 2 5/8. Then you'll have to make a 1/4" spacer to fit under the shell holder, or maybe go to a roll crimp [ they look better/cool ]. Many of my cut shells aren't completely square, or should I say there's a small wiggle or tit on it. They still star crimp just fine. BPI or https://www.precisionreloading.com/ has the stuff you need - I like precision reloading - they're generally cheaper, especially their roll crimpers [ which are also much, much better ]. I just pick a low pressure 12ga load for 1oz under 8000psi. A REM SP-10 plastic wad and a 3/8 20ga fiber wad inside the plastic wad before the shot loads great for me. I also use a 12ga drop tube so the small 20ga fiber wad doesn't get stuck it quite so easily. First I push down the 10ga plastic wad with moderate pressure then the 20ga fiber wad with very light pressure. It's a " feel" sort of thing you'll pick up on very quickly [ like when shot spills all over everything ]. Hope I've helped a little - let us know how it goes. Paul