View Single Post
Interesting reading
Unread 09-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Frank Childrey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Interesting reading

Over the summer I read two books and re-read a third that may be of interest. The Invaders by Pat Shipman discusses how home sapiens (us) wiped out the Neanderthals by being more intelligent, using projectile weapons, and domesticating "wolf-dogs" to protect their camps and caves and to surround and hold prey. I never really thought of myself as an "apex predator" or an "invasive species," but that's what we're labeled. Outlaw Machine by Brock Yates discusses the Harley-Davidson as a purely American product and sociological phenomenon. The study is way better, and deeper, than your typical writing about motor vehicles. The Shooting Party by Isabel Colgate treats a driven game shoot at Sir Randolph Nettleby's estate just prior to WW1. The book (and the movie) are rich in detail. In the book, the exchange between Sir Randolph (James Mason in the movie) and Cornelius Cardew (John Geilgud) is funny in print and absolutely hilarious in a dry British way on film. Anyway, I can recommend all three of the books, and, if you liked "Gosford Park," you'll love "The Shooting Party."
Frank Childrey is offline   Reply With Quote