View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Pete, " bottom feeding " - it's not a term I'd use when describing buying a Remington 1894. As you noted latter you do like the Remington 94's. So do I, as I have a A, B, C, and F grade 94's. JB, as for 10ga guns, I have a Rem 1882, and a Parker lifter. I shoot Promo which is the same as Red Dot so I'll now give it a try in the 10 thanks to what you posted. I was shooting 700X. As you posted, it only makes sense that what can be used in a 12 can be loaded in a 10. Charlie, must be just your gun, because I've never noticed a problem with how tight the trigger screws are on my guns. Has anyone ever noticed how deep the chokes are on a Remington ? I have a short - 5" - adj inside mic and a cheap 18" long mic from Brownells. On the 10ga Rem I can't measure the choke because the short one won't go deep enough, and the long one isn't big enough - it only goes to .775. With the Parker 10 - it's over bored to .800 - so my long mic is useless in that also. Anyways, I have a couple of 10's that measure at least .030 choke - and more - just not sure how much more.
Well given the price was below a solid Trojan 12ga it felt like I was in shallow water . I do like the Remington double guns, I think they are are the most overlooked and some of the best buys out there when it comes to classic doubles. This is my second Remington 1894 10ga, the other is a high condition B grade. The B grade has large bores too and .045 and .048 a choke with a 5 inch taper. I am guessing long taper and a lot of constriction is the norm for Remington doubles.

I did get an estimate on getting the forend fixed, gouges filled and rechecked. I think I will have it done and have the gun ready for the field come this fall.

I would like to find a straight grip F grade some day. They look like a very nice trap gun to shoot.

Promo is a good powder, a little dirtier than Red Dot and you have weigh what you are going to throw from one jug to the next, but the good price on it is worth the little inconvenience to me.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote