Thread: A family Parker
View Single Post
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, Guys. I suspected it would not be a "paying" proposition to do a restoration. The "as-is" price range is very helpful, too. My cousin will probably ask me to re-assemble the gun, so please give me some advice about cleaning.

1. Best way to clean the inlets of that hairy mildew? Alcohol or weak bleach on Q-tips?

2. Best way to clean the mystery coating off metal parts? I'm inclined to experiment on the barrel bottoms under the forearm with some lacquer thinner.

3. Barrels look worse in my photos than they do in person, but there is a small dent as shown in photo #4. I think that could be fixed for cosmetic purposes, but I don't have the tools to do it. I'll tell my cousin to take to a pro if he's interested. Most of what you are seeing in terms of graininess and texture is not rust--it's the coating.

4. Okay to polish rust off lug, flats, etc. with very fine abrasive paper? I make guitars and mandolins as a hobby, and I'm very good with small sanding blocks. Please advise about other, preferred methods.

5. Does anyone make replica hard rubber Parker butt-plates? I'd think this would be a relative easy thing to do with modern molding technologies, and will be surprised if no one does this.

6. Just curious--do you guys think this is the original stock? Would it have been checkered at one time? I can't tell if it has shrunk or has been sanded and refinished years ago.

7. Any other advice you'd like to share.

Many thanks to all,
Patrick
Patrick Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote