View Single Post
Question about damascus barrels and turkey loads
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Question about damascus barrels and turkey loads

I've been reading around the net about low pressure turkey loads. I've read quite a few stories of people who found that their low pressure loads didn't quite offer the penetration they wanted on longer shots. One recommendation I've read involves using #6 or even #7-1/2 shot for shooting within 20 yards, while having your other barrel loaded with larger pellets for deeper penetration at distances out to 40 yards. The more common suggestions were to load the other barrel with loads of #2 or #4, the idea being that the larger pellets offered better penetration.

I'm not set up to reload 2-1/2" 16ga shells, so a custom load isn't really an option. I'm also having trouble finding a load with shot size larger than #5. RST offers a copper plated shot, but only in #6. They have #5 shot in both 7/8 and 1oz loads. Polywad offers shot size up to #5 lead shot.

So what are my other options? I have wondered about buying a 20ga or 28ga sub gauge tube, but that only benefits me if I can use a modern shell because I'm in the same box with vintage 20ga loads as with the 16ga.

I am wanting to use a 16ga hammer gun with damascus barrels. Is it true that the reduction in pressure created by the space around the chamber gauge makes using a 20ga shell safe? Gun in question is an LC Smith 16ga hammer gun with .30 and .34 constriction.

I've seen the numbers on 16ga to 28ga, but not for dropping from 16ga to 20ga. I'm also a little skeptical about shooting a 28ga shell out to that distance on turkeys, even though lots of people claim a 28ga patterns as well or better than a 20ga. Plus, I've never looked for #4 or #2 28ga loads. I don't know if they're made, given the typical use of that gauge for upland birds and clays.

Am I just as well off going with the #6 copper plated loads from RST, assuming they pattern well?

Thanks for your input and shared experience.
will evans is offline   Reply With Quote