Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   14 gauge Parker DH (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47170)

David Livesay 10-09-2026 08:33 AM

14 gauge Parker DH
 
I saw this gun for sale in GI a few days ago and wondered how rare it is. The price is less than most people are asking for DH 20 ga.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=103847055

Reggie Bishop 10-09-2026 10:34 AM

I saw that gun. While it is an interesting gun, a 20 gauge in similar condition will always have a higher market value. It’s rare, but the difficulty in finding ammo reduces buyer demand. It would appeal to a collector trying to own a DH in every gauge. Just my opinion.

keavin nelson 10-09-2026 10:39 AM

There aren't any records on the gun. Can't help but wonder if it became 14ga after it was made?

Jim DiSpagno 10-09-2026 12:52 PM

I had a Grade 2 14?ga hammergun with 32" tubes. It lettered that way and according to Brad Bachelder, the chambers were professionally sleeved with steel to 16 ga and was so well done, it was difficult to detect. Gary Carmichael patterned the gun at 40 yds and it patterned like a backboard 16 ga. That gun now resides on the West Coast last I heard.

Jim DiSpagno 10-09-2026 12:52 PM

14 gauge ammo became hard to find during and after WWI

Bill Murphy 10-09-2026 04:15 PM

Is the seller one of our regular exhibitors at East Coast shows recently deceased? Tell me if I'm mistaken.

Kevin McCormack 10-09-2026 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DiSpagno (Post 453839)
I had a Grade 2 14?ga hammergun with 32" tubes. It lettered that way and according to Brad Bachelder, the chambers were professionally sleeved with steel to 16 ga and was so well done, it was difficult to detect. Gary Carmichael patterned the gun at 40 yds and it patterned like a backboard 16 ga. That gun now resides on the West Coast last I heard.

A chimera at best; well-meaning modifications have taken some of the rarest of the rare guns (not just Parkers) into a carnival sideshow type of curiosity and desirability based on almost-iron-clad provenance from various sources. One can only speculate on the true value of the original piece had on one messed with it. Great examples are the Colt SAAs in the specific SN range of those issued to the 7th Cavalry a year or so before the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

Kevin McCormack 10-09-2026 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 453845)
Is the seller one of our regular exhibitors at East Coast shows recently deceased? Tell me if I'm mistaken.

Don't know - tell us who you think it is and we'll tell you what we know.

Ian Civco 10-10-2026 07:57 AM

Here’s one that sold at auction last month at half the price. I thought about bidding on it, as it’s a DH and rare, but this is a case where rare doesn’t always equate to being valuable or desirable.

https://bid.guyetteanddeeter.com/lot...4-bore-shotgun

Bill Murphy 10-10-2026 10:33 AM

Kevin, his name is in the GI ad.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org