Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Quail 2026 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47134)

Chris Robenalt 10-01-2026 09:45 PM

Quail 2026
 
2 Attachment(s)
Anybody getting ready for the upcoming season? I dug out the "go to gun". Nothing pretty or graded. Just the ol 24" Sterly 16. I do have a set of 28" barrels I fit to this for dove, if seasons overlap.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-01-2026 10:20 PM

I'd like to try 24" barrels. I always liked 26" barrels. I hunt a lot but shoot clays only a little.
Always enjoy your posts Chris.
I often hunt with a Utica SW 20, 28" barrels

John Davis 10-02-2026 12:48 AM

Never know what the season will bring but I’ve seen a lot of birds on my place this summer.

Garry L Gordon 10-02-2026 05:04 AM

Can’t wait for our season to open. I just hope our quail developed webbed feet with all the rain we’ve had.

I keep looking for the right 24” gun…

Dean Romig 10-02-2026 06:16 AM

I’m headed to grouse & woodcock camp in Vermont this morning for the weekend. I’m bringing two of my 24” guns - one is my 16 gauge Lifter and the other is my “Mrs. E. W. B.” Ithaca 20 gauge. It should be a fun time!





.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-02-2026 06:53 AM

Good luck to all for the upcoming season.
Garry, will you be back in Minnesota this fall--Elaine's photography and your essays are always looked forward to.
Last winter may have wiped out the quail here, won't know until November, after I get back from the UP.

Dan Steingraber 10-02-2026 07:18 AM

I’m in New Hampshire to open my annual “Epic October” and the opening of grouse season here. My Dottie dog had 5 nice woodcock finds yesterday but otherwise a pretty slow day with only 1 grouse moved after 4 dogs on the ground. It’s wonderful to be back watching the dogs do what God intended for them. Brought along a 28” VHE 28 and 28” VH 20.

Andrew Sacco 10-02-2026 08:10 AM

I wish everyone a prosperous bird season whether it's quail or grouse or mudbats. I am unable to hunt for a while after back surgery so I'll have to make due with your adventures, reading books, and maybe even buying a gun I have no need or business owning : )

On the subject of 24" barrels, the shortest thing I use is a 12g Franchi AL semi auto with stubby barrels and they are dandy in thick cover. Seems there are two trends and I wonder if they'll EVER reverse. One is long barrels, I've been a victim of selling short barreled guns and paying for long barreled guns (this comes from the popularity of sporting clays because while I love 32" for clays I can't bird hunt with them). Two is the dropping prices of 12g doubles. If 26-28" barrels and 12g ever rebound in price I may start moving some guns but will hang on for now.

Good luck everyone!

John Davis 10-02-2026 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 453554)
I’m headed to grouse & woodcock camp in Vermont this morning for the weekend. I’m bringing two of my 24” guns - one is my 16 gauge Lifter and the other is my “Mrs. E. W. B.” Ithaca 20 gauge. It should be a fun time!.

Dean good luck on the hunt. We’re actually in Vermont as well for parents weekend at UVM.

Gerald McPherson 10-02-2026 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 453551)
Never know what the season will bring but I’ve seen a lot of birds on my place this summer.

John are you talking about wild quail?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org