![]() |
Damascus Special Steel
I have a GH 12 ga that has a rib marked Damascus . The barrels however do not look Damascus. They look like regular steel with no lines or variations that can be seen all serial numbers on the gun are matching and all four places, including the barrels. The gun supposedly was made in 1886. Did they make our mark guns Damascus that had special steel instead for the GH model? This is my very first post. I am a new member. Don’t know all the rules yet please forgive any mistakes or lack of information just getting started thank you.
|
Photo of the barrel flats would be helpful as well as a research letter. Could have been re-barreled, could still be Damascus disguised as fluid steel.
|
Welcome to the forum! Not terribly uncommon for Damascus to be blued over. If the ribs are marked Damascus this is what I suspect. Pictures would help a lot.
|
I have a gun that has Damascus barrels that have been blued over. Not a Parker though.
Dylan beat me to it. |
Welcome to our forum!
Can you post pictures of the rib and the barrel flats that have the original factory stampings? . |
Damascus or Special Steel?
Thanks for all replies. I am doing this from my phone and not my PC which is on the way out. This is difficult to navigate the first day. I will try to upload photos when I figure out how to do so. Can all this be done with a IPhone? Do many use that method? Or IPAD? Thanks, I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it soon. Also, I am filling in the form for a letter soon.
|
It is very easy with an IPhone!
|
Or they could be sleeved
|
My guess would be that the barrels were blued.
|
A blued D3 (3 iron crolle) GH. The scrolls are visible on the flats and the barrels were likely hot caustic salt blued as the barrels were etched
https://photos.smugmug.com/Damascus/...0GH%20D3-M.jpg Put white vinegar on a soft cloth and rub the barrel and it is likely the crolle pattern will be apparent beneath the blueing https://photos.smugmug.com/Damascus/...damascus-M.jpg |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org