Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Truck Boot (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40869)

Harold Lee Pickens 01-07-2024 03:19 PM

Truck Boot

Keeping our hunting companions warm and dry can pose some difficulty in extreme weather. I've always put a cap on my truck, so that keeps the rain and wind off the dogs when traveling. I've also been using a truck boot , which is an inflatable clear rectangular inner tube that fits between the back slider window of my truck cab and the slider opening of the cap. put it in place and inflate it, and it effectively seals the cap and cab . Heat/air conditioning can pass thru and warm the cap significantly. I keep a digital thermometer in my cap to monitor the temp there. It was 24 degrees outside and in the cap when I loaded the dogs up Thursday, and when getting to the hunting area , was almost 50 degrees in the cap from the heat flowing back into the cap. No big investment either, around $30, just google truck boot.

Dean Weber 01-07-2024 05:07 PM

Harold, I assume you have arrived in Mecca? ��
Should be some good hunting the next 48 hours!

Harold Lee Pickens 01-07-2024 05:10 PM

I wish Dean, not leaving until Thursday, and by then the Temps are supposed to plummet. Getting cold thinking about it.

Daryl Corona 01-07-2024 06:05 PM

Sounds like a good solution Harold. One of, if not the main reason, I've had Suburbans over the years. Every thing under one roof so to speak.

Pete Lester 01-08-2024 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 402669)
I wish Dean, not leaving until Thursday, and by then the Temps are supposed to plummet. Getting cold thinking about it.

Are you headed out to the Dakota's?

Harold Lee Pickens 01-08-2024 07:16 AM

Hi Pete. Yes leaving Thursday morning for SE South Dakota, kind of around the Huron area. Hunting mostly Waterfowl Production Areas ,WPA's, Crep ground, and public areas. Keeping my hands warm is always the biggest problem for me, a single trigger gun would help with the glove issues, but dont own one. Picked up a pack of hand warmers yesterday.

Pete Lester 01-08-2024 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 402709)
Hi Pete. Yes leaving Thursday morning for SE South Dakota, kind of around the Huron area. Hunting mostly Waterfowl Production Areas ,WPA's, Crep ground, and public areas. Keeping my hands warm is always the biggest problem for me, a single trigger gun would help with the glove issues, but dont own one. Picked up a pack of hand warmers yesterday.

Have fun and be safe in the cold weather out there.

Ken Hill 01-08-2024 09:56 PM

Harold,

It is getting real cold in SD this weekend. Good luck on your trip! I hunt around Pierre and there’s still crunchy snow on the ground with drifts. I’m not sure I’ll go back this year.

Does the inflatable boot rub paint off the exterior of the truck and cap?

Ken

Harold Lee Pickens 01-08-2024 10:47 PM

Havent noticed any problem with that Ken--pretty much fits against the window. Yeah, been looking at the weather, looks brutal, but the snow depth isnt bad. Oh well, too late to change plans now.

Garry L Gordon 01-09-2024 10:17 AM

Harold, be careful. High temperatures here in Missouri are forecast at zero and below, with very high winds. Take care of yourself and those pups if you do go.