Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tick prevention (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40369)

Phillip Carr 11-01-2023 05:03 AM

Tick prevention

I am headed to Mexico at the end of the month to hunt quail. I am planning on taking one of my dogs with me.
The area we are hunting I understand has a fair amount of ticks.
I have never had an issue in AZ so I am not familiar with others use to prevent ticks on their dogs
I know there are a lot of products out there but I would like to hear first hand on what you have actually used and recommend.
Do I need to start early for best protection?
Thanks Phil

Chris Pope 11-01-2023 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We use the Seresto Collar (~ $60 ea) with excellent results in tick-laden New England. I have no experience with them in Mexico. While they are expensive they report to last 8 months. We now live in SC, use them year round and change them out every 6-months. Well worth the expense in our opinion but I would certainly like to hear from other members including some of our members who are Veterinarians.

Andrew Sacco 11-01-2023 07:31 AM

Ive lost two Seresto collars on my dogs, but they do work well. I now either use Bravecto or Advantix (applied to the skin as instructed) and before she hunts I spray her lightly with Permethrin. This pretty much has kept my dog tick free for two years and we have a TON of ticks up here. Over 35 degrees or so they're active.

Garry L Gordon 11-01-2023 08:21 AM

We use Frontline Plus. Kills ticks and fleas...but not mosquitoes.

Timothy Salgado 11-01-2023 11:37 AM

I use Bravecto with my late Labrador and still with our Cocker Spaniel, it works fleas, ticks and it worked fine. Oral tab every three months.
Tim

The bugs do have to bite the dog for it to kill them.

Mike Koneski 11-01-2023 11:43 AM

We use Seresto collars on all four Setters and the Shepherd. Well worth the $$ to have the protection for minimum 6 months.

Bob Hayes 11-01-2023 12:37 PM

Don't forget yourself Phil, Sawyer clothing spray with permethrin.Coat all your clothes and let dry it works great on ticks.In Minn. last week ticks were fierce and my buddy and our guide were covered daily in ticks.All day they were brushing ticks off.I on the other hand had coated my hunting clothes in sawyers and was practically tick free one maybe two per day and none after the hunt at night.
Good luck be safe.

Andrew Sacco 11-01-2023 12:55 PM

That's what I use on my dog too is Sawyers. A google search will show it's safe for dogs, not cats. I don't soak the dog just mist her while covering her eyes, nose and genitalia. I've treated my clothes for years and have watched a tick crawl up my pants turkey hunting and become paralyzed and fall off.

Tom Jay 11-01-2023 01:14 PM

Simparica TRIO for fleas, ticks and heartworm. Once a month chewable. Using with 2 setters in tick infested New England with excellent results.

Rick Losey 11-01-2023 05:59 PM

the trouble with the oral meds is the tick has to bite to die, so they can get off onto you or into lodging. I have had ticks get off the dog - onto me and then bite.

so, I gave up on the collars, I still use the orals and treat the dogs during the season with the Sawyers - one treatment lasts for weeks and I have seen a significant drop in the ticks after a trip to the woods - and I treat my boots, pants and shirt collar, cuffs and plackets