Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1929 Parker Trojan 20ga gets it done in Missouri. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36251)

Joseph Sheerin 04-26-2022 10:36 AM

1929 Parker Trojan 20ga gets it done in Missouri.

5 Attachment(s)
Finally got out over the weekend in North Central Mo for a little turkey hunt at my place. Saturday morning was incredibly windy with 30+ mph wind gusts. I figgured my small clover plot which is in a protected part of my property would be a good place to setup. Did not hear a single gobble all morning, but eventually caught a gobbler moving through the woods about 100 yds behind me. I hunt with Poor Valley slate calls that were made by a very fine gentleman who passed away last year, Jerry French. A let out a few yelps, but he didn't hear them so upped the volume a bit. He raised his head and came rigth in on a string....

Was able to capture pics of him coming in from a game cam I had on the plot.

One shot from my 1929 Parker Trojan 20ga F/F hammered him. Was using #7.5 Pheasant loads as that was all I had on hand. Fun hunt, and one I will remember for a long time. Nice to add another chapter to this guns history.

charlie cleveland 04-26-2022 10:40 AM

nice bird and a really nice shotgun...them 7 1/2 s will do the job....charlie

Mills Morrison 04-26-2022 10:44 AM

Well done!

Daryl Corona 04-26-2022 03:53 PM

Nicely done Joe. I have to cringe when I read about these nimrods who think they need 3 1/2" 12ga. guns stoked with an 1 3/8 oz. of 4's load to kill a turkey. Bravo on your success with 7 1/2's out of your Trojan. It seems that the newly minted hunters of today rely on magnum loads and technology instead of learning the craft of calling and decoying your prey into point blank range. TSS- do you really need a shotgun to kill at 75+yards? GMAB!

Reggie Bishop 04-26-2022 04:03 PM

Very nice turkey! Congrats.

Bob Hayes 04-26-2022 04:19 PM

Nice bird and pictures,congratulations

Kevin McCormack 04-26-2022 04:29 PM

Gave my SIL what was left of a box of Federal high brass "Game Loads" in 20 ga. with both #6 and 7.5 shot for his hunting buddy's new gun, a camoed-up autoloader with 28" barrel and screw chokes. Kid is a novice but appreciates the right ammo/gun recipies for a 30-yd. shot. First time out they saw no birds in range but heard toms all around them. Next time....

Garry L Gordon 04-26-2022 05:25 PM

Hey, I did not realize you got the trail camera pictures, too. What a treat to have all this come together. We are finally home and I hope to get out tomorrow. I hope you left at least one Missouri bird for me.:)

Mills Morrison 04-26-2022 08:10 PM

Harry and I shot wood ducks with Parker 28's and some RST Bismuth. Harry killed one dead with one shot. My aim needs improvement

Joseph Sheerin 04-27-2022 08:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 362436)
Hey, I did not realize you got the trail camera pictures, too. What a treat to have all this come together. We are finally home and I hope to get out tomorrow. I hope you left at least one Missouri bird for me.:)

There are at least one or two left for you.....

I was up at my Cabin Saturday, realized I still had trail camera running right where the Tom strutted past. Luckily it captured a nice sequence of pics....

He was coming in pretty hot as you can see with first two pics... I have camera set to take burst of three pics each time it's triggered. He complete crossed field of view from pic1 to pic2.... :D 8 minutes later, I'm staging him for pics. :D