Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Torn ACL (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38464)

William Woods 02-13-2023 09:33 PM

My vet recommended against surgery for a torn ACL in an older dog. I was told that in his experience they will most likely tear the ACL in the other leg within a year.

Best of luck with your Gordon.

tom tutwiler 02-14-2023 07:10 AM

Any updates?

Ken Hill 02-14-2023 09:41 AM

Tom,

I’m still waiting to schedule the surgery. Belle still can’t put weight on her leg after 5 weeks. I can’t see not doing the surgery. I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks,
Ken

tom tutwiler 02-14-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hill (Post 382496)
Tom,

I’m still waiting to schedule the surgery. Belle still can’t put weight on her leg after 5 weeks. I can’t see not doing the surgery. I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks,
Ken

Good luck. I've taken the advise from a Vet that I should do nothing right now. Sophie has been leash walked only for the last 10 days. No sign of a limp. New pup coming in on March 9th. I figure if she tears it completely it will happen after they start rough horsing in the backyard. If that happens I'll do the TPLO. Vet said, no point in doing anything else right now and hope that rest over the next 3 weeks will help. Time will tell.

Assuming your pup has successful surgery, you should have plenty of time to recover for next hunting season, even though it may be light duty.

John Taddeo 02-14-2023 02:25 PM

Ken,
I was told by the Veterinary surgeon (post ACL surgery) that it was very important to perform the range of motion exercises they will prescribe. Insisting that it makes for a much quicker and easier recovery. Best of luck to You and Belle

John Dallas 02-14-2023 03:44 PM

30 years ago,my springer blew out her knee , and after surgery, the vet encouraged swimming therapy. Don't know if things have changed, but she recovered very well

Ken Hill 02-14-2023 08:54 PM

Thanks guys. Swimming would be a new thing for Belle. She only wants to get knee deep in the water unless she’s been running a lot. Then she’ll just lay down in it. My vet does recommend certain recovery exercises after the operation. I’ll discuss these comments with him, as the surgery gets scheduled.

Ken

Ken Hill 04-30-2023 02:41 PM

An update on Belle. She had her surgery on 21 Mar and got stitches out 11 days later. It was a little rough when she first came home (she didn’t stay overnight). However after about 5 days she was getting around ok. She started putting weight on her leg around 8 days. Right now everything seems to be going well and she’s using her leg (she stopped putting weight on her in early Jan and just kept it off the ground). She is still restricted to being on a leash and no exercise. We see the vet on 11 May for another checkup and hopefully she’ll be able to do some minor leash walking.

Ken

Harry Sanders 05-06-2023 09:34 PM

My Gordon, Cooper was a double TPLO. His first was uneventful. The second when he was older 8 was a bigger deal. A bit of PT and a lot of underwater treadmill. He hunted until 11. then enjoyed retirement.

Craig Larter 05-07-2023 08:31 AM

I had a very talented Lab who was a great duck hunter and on her way to being a AKC Master Hunter. She had TPLO surgery on both knees. I retired her from hunt testing and she went on to have a happy life as a great duck hunter and family pet. I have another 12yo Lab currently that had a 30% tear in one knee which happened as a young dog. I decided to not do surgery but treated with Movoflex as recommended by a top orthopedic vet. She has been great with no restrictions but does come up lame after vigorous exercise. One anti-inflammatory med and she is good to go the next day.