Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   PGCA Member Questions & Announcements (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Information for Research Letter request (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35932)

Rob Henry 03-21-2022 01:12 PM

Information for Research Letter request

4 Attachment(s)
So I've joined up and am filling out the "Parker research letter request" on my old gun. I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance but wanted to check all the correct boxes on the request form and fill it out to the best of my abilities.
That leaves me with some questions:

Action Type: It's obviously hammerless and has ejectors yet I don't know if it's also "Lifter", "Top Action" and/or "Back Action"?

Grip Type: It has a "Capped pistol grip" so it's not "straight' yet is it also "round" and/or "Ball"?

Forend Type: "Splinter" or "Beavertail"? I believe this is what called beavertail?

Butt Type: While it's "checkered" (though worn nearly off) and it has a "recoil pad" I don't know what "DHBP" or "Skeleton" refer to?

Any help you all might give by the pictures below is greatly apricated.
Thanks folks.

Attachment 105366

Attachment 105367

Attachment 105368

Attachment 105369

Randy G Roberts 03-21-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Henry (Post 359158)
So I've joined up and am filling out the "Parker research letter request" on my old gun. I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance but wanted to check all the correct boxes on the request form and fill it out to the best of my abilities.
That leaves me with some questions:

Action Type: It's obviously hammerless and has ejectors yet I don't know if it's also "Lifter", "Top Action" and/or "Back Action"? Hammerless

Grip Type: It has a "Capped pistol grip" so it's not "straight' yet is it also "round" and/or "Ball"? Capped Pistol Grip only

Forend Type: "Splinter" or "Beavertail"? I believe this is what called beavertail? Splinter

Butt Type: While it's "checkered" (though worn nearly off) and it has a "recoil pad" I don't know what "DHBP" or "Skeleton" refer to?
DHBP-Dogs Head Butt Plate
Skeleton-Skeleton Steel Butt Plate or SSBP

Any help you all might give by the pictures below is greatly apricated.
Thanks folks.

Attachment 105366

Attachment 105367

Attachment 105368

Attachment 105369

Rob,

See the responses in red. What's the serial # and we may be able to help out some more ?

Rob Henry 03-21-2022 01:34 PM

Thank you so much Randy. The serial number is 175948.
Sorry the pictures didn't capture the butt plate. It appears to be the original rubber type that I see on some of the other Parkers, it's not the steel.

Dean Romig 03-21-2022 01:39 PM

Rob, our research chairman, Chuck Bishop, will know all about your gun if you simply give him the serial number. When he looks up the serial number he'll be able to read the original Parker Bros order book and stock book on it and will know everything possible about it and he'll tell you about it in the research letter.

Randy G Roberts 03-21-2022 01:47 PM

Well there are surviving records so you can get a letter but it is not in the serialization book so you will have to wait on the letter for additional information on your gun. Welcome to the PGCA BTW :)

Rob Henry 03-21-2022 01:59 PM

Thank you again Randy for all the information. I'm learning a lot about these neat old pieces of art as I go. I'm just filling out the form to send to Chuck now and you've really helped me do that more accurately.

Mills Morrison 03-22-2022 09:09 AM

The others above beat me to it. I get a research letter on every Parker I buy if records are available

Dean Romig 03-22-2022 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 359270)
I get a research letter on every Parker I buy if records are available

I do now… previously I had not ordered a letter on guns below Grade 2, but now that I learned just a month ago that a 0-frane Damascus 16 ga. GH I have owned for more than 15 years was originally made for the 1893 World Fair Columbian Exhibition… I will going forward.

Mills Morrison 03-22-2022 09:39 AM

My "lowly" VH 12 was in the Boston Show around 1901. Not quite half of my Quality 2 Parkers were ordered by individuals which gives you a good idea of their early use.