Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Parker Lifter (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35286)

Keith Freeman 01-17-2022 01:24 PM

Parker Lifter

I have a Parker Lifter which I believe is an 11 gauge with a Number 15 stamped under the Barrels is this the Serial Number? The left hammer is missing is there any way to find an original hammer for this old of a gun?

Dean Romig 01-17-2022 04:44 PM

The serial number should be engraved on the trigger guard strap, the underside of the forend iron, and on the water table (action flats).

John Dallas 01-17-2022 04:53 PM

Does the gun say Parker Brothers, or simply. Parker? If it's just Parker it is an inexpensive import from Europe

Jay Oliver 01-17-2022 07:06 PM

The very early Parkers did not have the serial # on the trigger guard. Not sure when that started, my early back actions do not have any serial numbers on the trigger guard.

Does this gun have back action locks? If the serial# is 15 it should be on the forend iron, barrel lug and the water table of the receiver. Please post pictures when you have a chance.

And yes you can likely find a replacement hammer.

Mills Morrison 01-18-2022 10:16 AM

We need some pictures to give any meaningful evaluation. Sounds like an interesting gun

Dean Romig 01-18-2022 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No 5949

Dean Romig 01-18-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Freeman (Post 353438)
I have a Parker Lifter which I believe is an 11 gauge with a Number 15 stamped under the Barrels is this the Serial Number? The left hammer is missing is there any way to find an original hammer for this old of a gun?

Please post a picture showing the number 15 stamp.

Keith Freeman 01-19-2022 01:18 PM

Yes it is a Parker Brothers with the 15 stamped in 3 areas and Patern Date of 1866.

Keith Freeman 01-19-2022 01:23 PM

How do I post the pictures?

Randy G Roberts 01-19-2022 01:45 PM

Go to the home page tree on the left, click of the FAQ's then scroll all the way down to the bottom for instructions.

Jay Oliver 01-19-2022 05:37 PM

Keith, If you need more help with the pictures please let us know. Due to file size, sometimes you have to compress/reduce the size of a picture to post. I would be able to help if you need it...

Keith Freeman 01-26-2022 06:04 PM

Lifter!-

Jay if you post your email address I will email the pics to you and you could post them for me! Thanks KF

Jay Oliver 01-26-2022 10:16 PM

Hi Keith,

I sent a private message through the forum with my email address. Let me know if you received it. Happy to help with this! Jay

Jay Oliver 01-28-2022 04:31 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I received some pictures from Keith through email and I am excited! It doesn't get much earlier than #15. This gun has laminated steel barrels meaning it was a higher grade gun, which makes sense given the serial number.

I have Serial#037 and 46. The 0 prefix was for "0" grade guns if read that correctly from the Parker story and that matches the 2 guns I have. On mine #037 has Decarbonized Steel and my #46 has Laminated steel.

On Keith's gun the serial number is both on the side and top of the barrel lug. I haven't seen that before, usually just on the side. This gun is early enough that maybe Parker Bros was still deciding where they were going to mark the serial numbers. Another interesting thing is the proof mark on the barrel flats, I have not seen that before.

If only this Parker could talk...

Dean Romig 01-28-2022 04:46 PM

Jay, can you make out what that proof mark is? Looks like an angel in a long dress or gown....

Dean Romig 01-28-2022 04:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Interesting pattern for Laminated. It looks very much like the pattern in the Twist barrels on 10165

Jay Oliver 01-28-2022 04:59 PM

Dean, I can't really tell. I looked at the high resolution pictures that were too large to post and I can make it out. I almost see a "BP" in script, which may be a Birmingham Proof, but it doesn't match any Birmingham proof marks I could find.

Jay Oliver 01-28-2022 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my #97 with laminated steel barrels. The pattern looks similar. I noticed that the serial# is on the top of this barrel lug too. I did not notice that previously, I probably I should look at my guns more often...

I do like that early laminated steel barrel pattern. It is definitely different than the Parker made Laminated Steel barrels.

Jay Oliver 01-28-2022 05:26 PM

On Keith's gun, the 1866 patent date is on the tang which is neat and there is some extra engraving which makes sense since this was a higher grade gun.

Dean Romig 01-28-2022 06:17 PM

I'm inclined to think all three of the sets of barrels posted here are actually Laminated, even the one I posted that is marked Twist on the rib. I'll stick my neck out and suggest it was a factory error to engrave Twist on 10165 ... maybe.

edgarspencer 01-28-2022 08:23 PM

If it is genuinely #15, I believe it would be too early for twist barrels. They certainly look like laminated barrels.
Jay, did you get any pictures which clearly shows the hammer? I may be able to help.

Dylan Rhodes 01-28-2022 08:39 PM

I'd really like to see the enhanced engraving on that. I can't make it out.

Dylan Rhodes 01-28-2022 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone help me out here. I was reviewing the spring 2021 issue of Parker Pages list of interesting serial numbered guns (see attached pic). Would this number supersede something on that list or would it be it's own unique entry?

Dean Romig 01-28-2022 08:53 PM

No. 15 would be it's own entry. Josh Loewensteiner maintains the "Parkers Found" compilation and as guns are found and authenticated their serial numbers and features should be sent to Josh for inclusion.

Jay Oliver 01-28-2022 11:55 PM

Edgar, these are all the pictures I received, though I am sure Keith could provide more. Keith did say that Laminated Steel is on the rib.

For the missing hammer, one thing on these back actions is that they may use different hammers than latter guns. I believe the square cut out in the hammer is bigger were it fits on the tumbler. At least that has been my experience, but someone might know more about this than me.

Here is #46 which is similar to this #15 in many respects: http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23414

Mills Morrison 01-29-2022 03:45 AM

Very interesting early Parker. Too bad the hammer is missing but it appears to be in good condition otherwise, considering its age

Dean Romig 01-29-2022 09:20 AM

A new matching hammer could be made by a skilled craftsman like Dave Fjelline.

Dean Romig 01-29-2022 09:27 AM

Jay, did you ever replace that horrible allen-head screw with a proper one?:whistle:

Jay Oliver 01-29-2022 11:05 AM

Dean, Yes that allen screw has been replaced with a proper screw on the lifter button. I am still waiting on a few things to get this one back together, but it is much better than it is in my initial post.

On these early guns it seems there is always a hammer missing or there is a poorly made replacement hammer. I guess it is just a result of these back action Parkers being 150+ years old and being used a lot.

Dean Romig 01-29-2022 11:46 AM

Or it could be the steel they used being possibly more brittle or prone to breakage.
Could be the forging process too that may have contributed to the hammers being brittle and breaking off.

Could simply have been the screw backed out.... I've had that happen to me. Screw backed out, hammer fell off and I didn't notice until I got to the next station that I was missing a hammer.

Jay Oliver 01-29-2022 11:50 AM

Dean, I had a hammer screw almost back out on a hammer and luckily someone noticed it when I handed them the gun to look at. I was very lucky on that one!