Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Difference in Cheddite primers? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37320)

glennaeichmann 09-12-2022 10:29 PM

Difference in Cheddite primers?

Is there a difference between the Cheddite primers available through Ballistic Products (CX2000 Clarinox in the pink and blue box) versus those available from Brownells (CH209 in yellow box with green print)? I've only every used Winchester primers, but have run out.

CraigThompson 09-12-2022 10:37 PM

Never gotten chedrights from Brownells only WIN 209 . But I’ve gotten chedrights from several sources and all have been the blue pink , I think the yellow packaging Brownells shows is just an older box design . But I could very well be WRONG .

AndrewFrank 09-13-2022 12:40 PM

The yellow box is just old, if you order them from Brownells they will be the pink and blue. They are all CX2000s. If you get pre-primed hills they will have a different color primer sealant but they are also CX2000s

Mark Landskov 09-15-2022 02:09 PM

I compared loaded RST shells in 20, 16 and 12 gauge. All had the CX2000 primer, based on the comparison photo of the three Cheddite primers.

CraigThompson 09-15-2022 03:29 PM

Anymore the only primer I prefer not using is the Fiochi 616 . I loaded a bunch of 28’s for a friend years ago on his press using his components and he had the 616’s . I got them in the nice old style AA hulls but none would hold WIN primers after that.

Matt Valinsky 09-18-2022 03:20 PM

From what I understand, the pink and blue box primers are larger in diameter than American primers whereas the yellow and blue box primers fall in line with the diameter of American primers.

CraigThompson 09-18-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Valinsky (Post 372105)
From what I understand, the pink and blue box primers are larger in diameter than American primers whereas the yellow and blue box primers fall in line with the diameter of American primers.

Awful funny then , when I first used chedrights I loaded a handful of 410’s with chedrights set them all off then immediately reloaded them using WIN 209’s . Tapped them on the table top they didn’t back out and then fired them all and NONE backed out . Now maybe a leprechaun or something sprinkled magic dust on the ones I first tried I dunno . But over the last three years I’ve used chedrights and have mixed WIN REM and Federal in from time to time with NO PROBLEMS as far as enlarged primer pockets are concerned . All I’ve used were in the blue/pink box .

AndrewFrank 09-18-2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Valinsky (Post 372105)

No, cheddite just updated the package, I have and have used both and they are the same. If you measure them they are a hair larger than American primers but don’t seem to affect going back and forth with American primers.

Pete Lester 09-19-2022 06:11 AM

This was discussed in another thread, apparently Cheddite makes three shotgun primers, CX2000 (pink and blue box), CX1000 (yellow box) and CX50 (I have never seen a box). The 2000 is their hottest primer, the 1000 is their medium strength primer and the CX50 a low power primer. I have never seen the CX50 and I haven't seen any loading data that specified which Cheddite primer was used, 2000 or 1000. I have used 2000 and 1000 in the same loadings with no ill results.

Daniel Carter 09-20-2022 06:01 PM

Pete, today on the Shotgun world reloading forum there is a post about Cheditte primers in 20 and 28 ga. It gives a link to testing data that some on this forum have contributed to. I found it very interesting as far as some of my loads are concerned and will be dropping the powder charges. It is worth a look.