Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I'm learning about my Parker Shotgun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41822)

Dion Fennell 04-30-2024 01:27 PM

I'm learning about my Parker Shotgun

Good afternoon all. I am finally getting acquainted with my Parker shotgun. It was handed down to me from my grandfather through my mother. I've never shot it and it's been in a soft case for decades.

I bought a cleaning kit and have used the site to find the pertinent markings.
Frame Size -1 1/2 (12, 16, and 20 gauge)
Weight - 311
Serial # - 223715 (1927)
Grade - V
Steel - Vulcan

I know it's valuable due to my mother not giving me the gun until I was an adult. My grandfather died five days before I was born. He valued and used the gun well.

I've shot many rifles and hunted sporadically when I was young so I have some experience. But I never had a Parker. The gun is in good shape and it still has the leather butt cover that my grandfather enjoyed.

I'd appreciate any advice on any aspect of owning the gun. For example; what shells should I use and, what gauge is best. Are there any don'ts?

I'd like to take any information given, clean it properly then take it out to a range for firing.

I'd also like to know it's value.

Dean H Hanson 04-30-2024 02:15 PM

Dion, Sounds like a nice 12 gauge w/28" barrels and rather light. Please have the gun checked out by a competent SXS gunsmith and if everything is ok, go ahead and shoot it. Might wanna use low pressure shells, which are available from several outlets. Value is subject to a few criteria.... overall condition, configuration, provenance, rarity, and others. Yours is a very common Parker gauge and grade, but the frame size and barrel length add extra to the value. Tough to estimate w/out very good pics, or in hand evaluation. Thanks for sharing.

Dean

Dion Fennell 05-01-2024 06:18 AM

Thank you Dean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean H Hanson (Post 410068)
Dion, Sounds like a nice 12 gauge w/28" barrels and rather light. Please have the gun checked out by a competent SXS gunsmith and if everything is ok, go ahead and shoot it. Might wanna use low pressure shells, which are available from several outlets. Value is subject to a few criteria.... overall condition, configuration, provenance, rarity, and others. Yours is a very common Parker gauge and grade, but the frame size and barrel length add extra to the value. Tough to estimate w/out very good pics, or in hand evaluation. Thanks for sharing.

Dean

Good morning Dean! Thank you for the information. I'll find a gunsmith in my town, there are a few of them, and I'll get low pressure shells. I'll worry about it's value later. Thanks again.