Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tighten Your Belts! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38136)

Harold Lee Pickens 12-30-2022 03:30 PM

Tighten Your Belts!

I heard from a gentleman that sells reloading supplies out of his regular business that Hogdon was going to stop producing Universal, International, and Clays for 3 yrs due to a government contract. That is going to make matters worse than ever. He had no Universal or Unique left but I did pick up a 1lb of HS-6.
Dont want to start rumors, but heard this directly from the reloading supplier.

Dylan Rhodes 12-30-2022 03:35 PM

A conspiracy theorist might be upset that the government is inadvertently limiting the public’s ability to reload or otherwise obtain ammunition.

Mike Koneski 12-30-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Rhodes (Post 378773)
A conspiracy theorist might be upset that the government is inadvertently limiting the public’s ability to reload or otherwise obtain ammunition.

Conspiracy theorist or conspiracy realist??? Asking for a friend.

Aaron Beck 12-30-2022 05:02 PM

someone please workup some loads that use black rifle powder and maybe we will have a chance. shotshell reloading is clearly not a priority market.

Craig Larter 12-30-2022 05:03 PM

I don't know the reason but Alliant and Hogdon shotgun powder has disappeared from the marketplace.

CraigThompson 12-30-2022 05:13 PM

Hmmm Universal and International I use for my heavier 8 gauge loads IE buck slugs that type thing and I have a pound or better of each so I’m in good shape with them . Clays I ONLY use for 8 gauge 1 1/2 ounce stuff and I have over eight pounds of that so I’m in good shape .

Paul Harm 01-02-2023 01:18 PM

Where you been Aaron ? BP loads, whether for rifle, pistol, or shotgun have been around since BP was invented. Just get yourself one of those ten dollar adjustable powder/shot measures from a gun show or BPI or Precision Reloading, some fiber wads, BP, and you're good to go. BP and shot by volume are loaded in equal amounts. A 3 dram load is 82grs of 2F and 1 1/8oz of shot. Try a couple, they're so much more fun than nitro loads.

Aaron Beck 01-02-2023 01:40 PM

Paul- If it comes to that, for sure. Cleaning and follow up shots have kept me from it so far. I do load lots of fiber wads though, at least for hunting. I meant AR type powder. varget, h38, sundry number soups, all the stuff i see locally but get blank stares when I ask about shotgun powder and then the trite bit about how its hard to get things these days.

Keith Doty 01-02-2023 07:15 PM

Just emailed Hogdon on this, will advise when I get a reply.

Keith Doty 01-03-2023 10:43 AM

Got a quick reply from Hogdon customer service. They indicate the production capacity normally dedicated to the "Clay" series of powders many of us use has recently been switched over to military supply. They had no info to offer as to how long this was to be so.
My guess is our military has shipped huge quantities of conventional munitions to Ukraine as has Western Europe.