Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Question about engravings (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37360)

Kerilynn Viccione 09-18-2022 09:38 PM

Question about engravings

Hello all!

Hope everyone is well. I haven't posted in a while, although I've been checking in every so often.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if gold engraving on a Single Barrel Trap SC grade is strictly a custom embellishment done later or if it was even common to do so. It's only one bird underneath that is embellished. It's a 1926.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Kerilynn

Bill Murphy 09-19-2022 06:22 AM

The SC with a single pigeon on the bottom of the receiver is the standard factory engraving pattern until the end of production. Very early SC grades from the introduction in 1917 for awhile were engraved in all scroll with no birds.

Dean Romig 09-19-2022 07:28 AM

No, gold applied to Parker guns was reserved to the very highest grades and even so, it was usually by special order.

However, Dave Suponski has a SC with single gold birds on the sides and possibly one on the floor plate but I don’t know if this is documented as factory work.

Dave could answer this a bit better than I can.

ED J, MORGAN 09-19-2022 10:44 AM

Perhaps a Letter might tell the tail.

John Davis 09-19-2022 04:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This upgraded SAA (originally an SC) features a gold bird on the bottom of the frame. Compared with a Meriden SC and an Ilion SC.

Kerilynn Viccione 09-19-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 372166)
This upgraded SAA (originally an SC) features a gold bird on the bottom of the frame. Compared with a Meriden SC and an Ilion SC.

Yes! That is what it looks like :)

Bill Murphy 09-19-2022 05:02 PM

John's upgraded SAA is like mine, a DelGrego upgrade that used the outline of the SC grade pigeon to create the gold inlay. Only one or two SAA grade guns were made by Parker or Remington, so we really don't know what they look like. As far as I know, none were pictured in any book or catalog.

Kerilynn Viccione 09-19-2022 05:03 PM

You guys are the best; I knew you'd have the info- Thanks everyone. I'll order a letter, as well. I just didn't know if this was worth investigating. I don't know anything about single barrels. This is fun :)

Kerilynn

Dean Romig 09-19-2022 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this SC on the end with the gold birds is Dave Suponski's.

Triple-click on the image for full magnification.

Kerilynn Viccione 09-19-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 372174)
I believe this SC on the end with the gold birds is Dave Suponski's.

Triple-click on the image for full magnification.

Oh my word! That’s just an amazing image all around. But yes, I see what you mean about the birds on the side. Just beautiful. Thank you