Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   1879 grade 3 Lifter Engraving (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37306)

Austin Smith 09-11-2022 07:46 PM

1879 Grade 3 Lifter Engraving

5 Attachment(s)
This is my grade 3 Lifter from 1879. A couple of questions I have about this particular gun:

Does this style of engraving have a particular nomenclature? I feel this style of engraving is less common than the Parker style scroll, does that seem to be true? There’s also a few areas that have arrows engraved, like on the top of the action and around the pins behind the hammer seem on picture 2 and 3.

As far as the letter goes, is anyone from Ohio that might know where Leeds used to be? I can’t seem to find any information on a Leeds Ohio currently. Also does anyone know about the Detroit Bench Show? Thank you everyone!

Garry L Gordon 09-11-2022 08:14 PM

Austin, I'm no expert, but I have seen that engraving on guns from the 1870s. That's a nice example, for sure.

David Noble 09-11-2022 08:45 PM

I could find nothing on the Detroit Bench Show, however the bench shows were held for the judging of dogs. They are popular shows all over the U.S. especially for breeders and training facilities to buy graded dogs. The dogs are judged while standing on a bench for their qualities as established for each breed.

Dean Romig 09-11-2022 09:52 PM

I have three Grade 3 Lifters with that style of engraving. It was more the style of a particular engraver than it was a motif or style of engraving proscribed by Parker Bros. management per se. I like that engraving a lot.

Austin Smith 09-12-2022 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 371672)
Austin, I'm no expert, but I have seen that engraving on guns from the 1870s. That's a nice example, for sure.

Thank you Garry. Its a little off face and the barrels need freshening up, but the gun is headed to Breck in another week to get back into shooting shape!

Austin Smith 09-12-2022 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Noble (Post 371674)
I could find nothing on the Detroit Bench Show, however the bench shows were held for the judging of dogs. They are popular shows all over the U.S. especially for breeders and training facilities to buy graded dogs. The dogs are judged while standing on a bench for their qualities as established for each breed.

Thank you David. I truly had no idea what a bench show could have been. That gives me much better context to learn more about them!

Austin Smith 09-12-2022 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;371683]I have three Grade 3 Lifters with that style of engraving. It was more the style of a particular engraver than it was a motif or style of engraving proscribed by Parker Bros. management per se. I like that engraving a lot.

Thank you so much, Dean. I like it too, it really stands out compared to the standard scroll engravings for sure!