Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help please on a mint vh 20 gauge (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32745)

Derek Barow 03-13-2021 12:08 AM

Help please on a mint vh 20 gauge

5 Attachment(s)
I recently inherited this vh 20 gauge. It was preserved new in the wrapper by my grandfather. However I have some questions. The gun looks new and never modified by a gunsmith, however it has auto ejectors and a pachmayr pad. We're these factory upgrades 100 years ago or was this gun modified. According to my research auto ejector models were vhe stamped. Please help.

David Noble 03-13-2021 02:14 AM

The water table of the frame was not marked VHE, GHE etc. only the grade mark and an H to signify a hammerless gun.
You are correct to question the originality of the pachmayr pad as they were not available that far back. It appears your shotgun had some refinishing in the past also, so it is not a near mint original Parker. However, it was your grandfathers gun and that alone has value. Have it checked over by a competent gunsmith and if he finds it safe then you will have a classic small bore SxS shotgun to cherish and shoot. Congratulations!

Patrick Lien 03-13-2021 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Barow (Post 328706)
I recently inherited this vh 20 gauge. It was preserved new in the wrapper by my grandfather. However I have some questions. The gun looks new and never modified by a gunsmith, however it has auto ejectors and a pachmayr pad. We're these factory upgrades 100 years ago or was this gun modified. According to my research auto ejector models were vhe stamped. Please help.

It may have been preserved "new in a wrapper" from somewhere by someone but not from Parker Bros. Your gun does not "look new" and does not "look never modified by a gunsmith". Of course this is just my opinion just like yours. I am sure opinions on value will vary. I hope this helps.

PML

Derek Barow 03-13-2021 06:31 AM

Thank you guys. That's what I was afraid of.

Harold Lee Pickens 03-13-2021 07:02 AM

Still, it is a great little gun Derek. VHE 20's are wonderful field guns and are quite desirable. I have one that is rough, but has become my favorite grouse gun. Does yours have 26 or 28" barrels. Dont be dissapointed, its still a great little gun.

Brian Dudley 03-13-2021 07:06 AM

Those look like torch colors on the frame too.
As others have stated, the gun is completely refinished, and rather poorly. Get it checked out to make sure no critical damage was done and them shoot it and enjoy it.

Derek Barow 03-13-2021 07:42 AM

Ok. Will do. Thank you so much. I am pretty good with guns in general. I am an armorer for sig, glock, beneli and colt. However I have no clue about older guns so I appreciate all the input. You won't hurt my feelings, lol

edgarspencer 03-13-2021 09:49 AM

It left the factory as a VHE

Derek Barow 03-13-2021 11:37 AM

How do you know sir?

Harold Lee Pickens 03-13-2021 01:06 PM

It looks like it has ejectors, hence the VHE