Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bo Woop (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40476)

George Davis 11-16-2023 09:24 AM

Bo Woop

Spent yesterday at Ducks Unlimited Headquarters and was privileged handle Nash Buckingham's famous shotgun "Bo Woop". Beautiful display to the man and his gun.

Rick Roemer 11-16-2023 09:50 AM

You are a lucky man. Would love to see that big piece of history.

Stan Hillis 11-17-2023 08:09 AM

I haven't seen it since it was auctioned and went to the DU museum near Memphis. But, I was extremely fortunate to have been able to spend an hour with it before it left Savannah, where it had lived for about 50 years, before being "discovered" by gunsmith Jim Kelley.

I was able to disassemble it and measure the bores, chokes, stock dimensions, etc. I took many pics of it myself, but the most prized pic I have of it was taken by a friend in his office of me mounting the gun and looking down the barrels. When I did so I had a keen awareness that I was looking down the very same barrels that Mr. Nash had looked down so many times. My heart was beating out of my chest!

Me and Bo Whoop ........

https://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/71433_766x574.jpg

George Davis 11-17-2023 08:33 AM

I'm not a big duck or goose hunter but this gun does make your heart race.

Kevin McCormack 11-17-2023 09:08 AM

Bo WHoop!

Stan Hillis 11-17-2023 11:33 AM

Jim Kelly told me that after he finished restocking it he and another fellow took it to a nearby river swamp. The other fellow was instructed to walk aways into the swamp, while Jim stayed put, and to fire it a couple of times. Jim wanted to see if it really made an unusual sound, like Bo Whoop! I waited for his verdict. He just smiled and shook his head "No".

Rick Losey 11-17-2023 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 398876)
Jim Kelly told me that after he finished restocking it he and another fellow took it to a nearby river swamp. The other fellow was instructed to walk aways into the swamp, while Jim stayed put, and to fire it a couple of times. Jim wanted to see if it really made an unusual sound, like Bo Whoop! I waited for his verdict. He just smiled and shook his head "No".

maybe it would with the correct vintage loads :corn:
someone with a similarly spec'ed Super could try it

Mike Koneski 11-17-2023 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 398876)
Jim Kelly told me that after he finished restocking it he and another fellow took it to a nearby river swamp. The other fellow was instructed to walk a-ways into the swamp, while Jim stayed put, and to fire it a couple of times. Jim wanted to see if it really made an unusual sound, like Bo Whoop! I waited for his verdict. He just smiled and shook his head "No".

Ah yes, another "urban legend" dispelled!! Thank you Myth Busters!!

Frank Srebro 11-17-2023 01:19 PM

Calm down Mikey. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to hear Mr Buck's Super-Fox sound off with fresh Western progressive powder behind fiber wads and 1-3/8 ounce of bare shot. Same load that he favored. But that proprietary Western powder hasn't been made for many many decades, and vintage Super-X paper 3-inchers have stale or sour powder. Also, modern double-base powders have different burn characteristics. Net, there’s no way to duplicate that loading and check for Bo Whoop sound.

CraigThompson 11-17-2023 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Srebro (Post 398891)
Calm down Mikey. :rolleyes:

Would be nice to hear it sound off with fresh Western progressive powder behind fiber wads and 1-3/8 ounce of bare shot. Same load that Buck favored. That proprietary Western powder hasn't been made for many many decades, and vintage Super-X 3-inchers are loaded with powder that’s gone stale or sour. Also modern double-base powders have different burn characteristics. Net, there’s no way to duplicate the loading and check for BoWhoop sound.

I know where some original Winchester 1 3/8 ounce loads happen to reside . Saying for that friend again :bigbye: