Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Super Fox (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3409)

bob weeman 01-25-2011 11:39 AM

Super Fox

Does anyone have the frame size measurements for the 12 guage super fox HE grade? It is bigger than the standard 12 but I do not know by how much. I know of an A grade Fox that has what seems to be a bigger frame, barrels and rib than the normal 12 guage. Thanks!

Craig Larter 01-25-2011 02:39 PM

A Super Fox frame measures 2.420 across the breech balls, a standard frame is 2.350. Some non-supers were built on the 2.420 frame but the bores are a standard .729, the customer was looking for a heavy gun. A couple supers were built on standard frames but they are overbored like a standard super. Depending on the period super were bored .750, .745, .740 or most common .738.

charlie cleveland 01-26-2011 12:59 PM

what was the average weight for a super fox.... charlie

Austin W Hogan 01-26-2011 01:35 PM

SUPER FOX

2 Attachment(s)
My impression of the Buckingham Super Fox that I examined at Julia's was that it felt like a three frame Parker. I did not measure the breech dimensions, Craig's dimensions indicate it is between a 2 and 3 frame. The extra weight between the hands is in the barrel taper.

The internal dimensions of the Super Fox are given below, with three Parker competition guns for comparison. The Super Fox has a longer taper merging the forcing cone with the barrel.

Best, Austin

Craig Larter 01-26-2011 01:38 PM

The early period guns 9 to 10lbs, the later guns 8 1/4 to 9lbs. The lightest I have recorded is 8lbs 2oz, the heaviest 10lbs 4oz.

charlie cleveland 01-26-2011 03:50 PM

thanks craig i would like to have one of those super fox but they seem to be out of my price range when i do see one for sale....seems like the smith is the only one i can afford well some day maybe....charlie

Bill Murphy 01-26-2011 05:56 PM

Charlie, keep your nose to the ground. Our posters Craig Larter, Bill Murphy, Destry Hoffard, Don Kaas, and others have found nice HE guns in the not too distant past. You should get in the car and go to some big side by side events. Some of these guns never made it to the internet. At least two were bought at the Vintagers in the past couple of years. I bought my last one in the parking lot of the Chantilly, VA gun show. They are where they are and they have not all come out yet.

charlie cleveland 01-26-2011 06:15 PM

will keep my nose to the ground and fingers crossed....will be going to a small auction in oxford miss...next week end maybe something will turn up...charlie

Destry L. Hoffard 01-26-2011 06:45 PM

I wish I'd have bought mine in the parking lot. I had to buy it through an online gun auction and paid painful money but I'm happy with it none the less.

Along about the same time I bought a WC Scott 16 gauge hammer double that's marked Bogardus Club Gun for a huge bargain on the same site. So even there, sometimes deals are to be had. The barrels are 30 inch cyl and cyl chokes, should be murder on doves early in the season.

Destry

charlie cleveland 01-26-2011 09:54 PM

that wc scott 16 ga should be some fun gun about september...have you used the fox on ducks yet....do the super fox seem to be choked as good as the lc smiths....have you shot a few of the heavy loads in the fox....i shot a few in the 3 inch lc smith i have but will stick with lower recoil loads mostly...except during turkey season wich aint to far off.... charlie