Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Double Gun Journal -Sad News (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36997)

Phil Yearout 05-04-2023 05:15 PM

Publishing a magazine is major work; I think they're just tired.

Dean Romig 05-04-2023 05:19 PM

The amount of work that goes into proof-reading, picture editing and cropping, communicating with authors, and all other duties of layout artistry, along with publication deadlines, requires quite a bit more than simply the love of ‘your’ work and the satisfaction of a quality finished product…

It all requires a certain number of subscribers to make it all worth it. The end result must be able to support the owners/editors (Daniel & Joanna) in some sort of lifestyle that they deem acceptable. And at this stage of their lives they would like to not be tied to their desks and keyboards.
I personally have no problem with their decision to close the doors of DGJ.

But like everyone else, I will surely miss the best magazine ever published on the guns we all love so much.

Hopefully the void will someday be filled.

Russell E. Cleary 05-05-2023 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtommas (Post 388103)
It's cool that they're planning on doing an Index & Reader Vol III in 2023. That'll be a nice way to look back on all the great content they've published over the years. Plus, it sounds like they're still going to be in the publishing game, just in a different capacity. Maybe they'll even start putting out some books on firearms! That'd be pretty rad.
Speaking of publishing, have you checked out any literary magazines for new writers lately? I know it's not the same as a gun journal, but there are some seriously awesome publications out there. Like, have you heard of The Paris Review or Tin House? They're both super legit. And if you're into sci-fi and fantasy, you should check out Clarkesworld or Lightspeed. They publish some seriously mind-blowing stuff.

I am questioning the motivation of this post.

Does this post sound like that of a vintage gun person or of someone pushing an unrelated product?

Has Artificial Intelligence (AI) found its way to the PGCA Forum?

Kenny Graft 05-05-2023 06:45 AM

Hase anyone herd when the last reader will be available? SXS Ohio

Phillip Carr 05-05-2023 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 388152)
I am questioning the motivation of this post.

Does this post sound like that of a vintage gun person or of someone pushing an unrelated product?

Has Artificial Intelligence (AI) found its way to the PGCA Forum?

Russell you are spot on. When I see a person that joins and then the first posting is to try and get you to open a link it runs up a red flag to me also.

Greg Baehman 05-05-2023 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Graft (Post 388154)
Hase anyone herd when the last reader will be available? SXS Ohio

Kenny, their note said they’d hope to have the Vol. III Index and Reader available by Christmas 2023.

Dean Romig 05-05-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Carr (Post 388156)
Russell you are spot on. When I see a person that joins and then the first posting is to try and get you to open a link it runs up a red flag to me also.

True, and from a Forum Associate no less.
This is not to say a Forum Associate is any less legitimate, but it does raise ‘that’ flag…

Jack Kuzepski 05-05-2023 08:54 AM

Bill,

I agree with you about writing and photography. When I write something, I have to write it out long hand at least twice. And while it is in long hand, I have words crossed out and replaced, phrases circled with arrows pointing out where it might fit better. After that, I can type it in a word program and do further editing with cut and paste with additional help from spell check. Then it still needs help from an editor. Somewhere in my house is a digital camera, (I rhink the wife hid it) that I had used years ago, so now I have a friend whose hobby is photography and he takes the photos and sends them to me by e-mail.

Andrew Sacco 05-05-2023 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 388127)
The amount of work that goes into proof-reading, picture editing and cropping, communicating with authors, and all other duties of layout artistry, along with publication deadlines, requires quite a bit more than simply the love of ‘your’ work and the satisfaction of a quality finished product…

It all requires a certain number of subscribers to make it all worth it. The end result must be able to support the owners/editors (Daniel & Joanna) in some sort of lifestyle that they deem acceptable. And at this stage of their lives they would like to not be tied to their desks and keyboards.
I personally have no problem with their decision to close the doors of DGJ.

But like everyone else, I will surely miss the best magazine ever published on the guns we all love so much.

Hopefully the void will someday be filled.

I know Dean has done the leg work for PP in the past and now, as your advertising manager, I can tell you the amount of work to produce ONE issue of a magazine is astounding. I have told our publishing/printing company, and editors Mike and Sam, that they have convinced me that being a publisher or editor is work for which there is NOT enough pay. And this is all done by volunteers. There is not one job, editor, printer, treasurer, etc... that is easy with producing Parker Pages. I can't imagine doing what Daniel and Joanna did all those years with such high quality and attention to detail. But yes, lack of subscribers is a huge problem and costs to produce a periodical like that must have been just staggering.

John Campbell 05-05-2023 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 388163)
I know Dean has done the leg work for PP in the past and now, as your advertising manager, I can tell you the amount of work to produce ONE issue of a magazine is astounding. I have told our publishing/printing company, and editors Mike and Sam, that they have convinced me that being a publisher or editor is work for which there is NOT enough pay. And this is all done by volunteers. There is not one job, editor, printer, treasurer, etc... that is easy with producing Parker Pages. I can't imagine doing what Daniel and Joanna did all those years with such high quality and attention to detail. But yes, lack of subscribers is a huge problem and costs to produce a periodical like that must have been just staggering.

Spot on!!