Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Squirrels Alah Charlie (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37788)

CraigThompson 11-18-2022 09:27 AM

Squirrels Alah Charlie

2 Attachment(s)
Decided I’ll pop a couple every few days so I’ve got enough for Brunswick stew at Christmas !

Stan Hoover 11-18-2022 10:09 AM

Way to go Craig,

when I think of squirrels, I always think of my Sako in 17 Mach 2, I guess I'll have to take one of My parker's out and try it that way.
I was sitting on the deer stand a few days back and was watching a Foz squirrel go about his business, I thought of you Charlie, was hoping to get a good picture of him but it wasn't to be.

Stan

Garry L Gordon 11-18-2022 10:11 AM

A Virginia original recipe! What time should I be over? (No butterbeans in mine, please). I can bring some squirrels, too.:corn:

CraigThompson 11-18-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hoover (Post 375734)
Way to go Craig,

when I think of squirrels, I always think of my Sako in 17 Mach 2, I guess I'll have to take one of My parker's out and try it that way.
I was sitting on the deer stand a few days back and was watching a Foz squirrel go about his business, I thought of you Charlie, was hoping to get a good picture of him but it wasn't to be.

Stan

Just for future reference two ounces of shot ARE NOT NEEDED for squirrels :rotf::rotf::rotf: Next time I decide to waylay some I’ll use my 1 1/2 ounce load of #6’s .

CraigThompson 11-18-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 375735)
A Virginia original recipe! What time should I be over? (No butterbeans in mine, please). I can bring some squirrels, too.:corn:

I’m contemplating making it for Xmas luncheon the Tuesday before Xmas at the shop . Also plan on making pheasant Jambalya and quite possibly the venison stew I’ve made several times from a recipe posted here .

charlie cleveland 11-18-2022 04:31 PM

thanks for thinking of me on them squirl hunts and sightings....with 2 ounce of shot you got more lead to hit the squirl with 2 1/2 ounce for them tough fox squirls....ha.....charlie

Garry L Gordon 11-18-2022 04:49 PM

I wish you were closer, Charlie. I'd like to have someone to hunt squirrels with here. We have plenty and I have never encountered a squirrel hunter on any public land in North Missouri. We have LOTS of squirrels -- fox and greys.

charlie cleveland 11-18-2022 06:10 PM

if I lived closer we would keep them squirls busy.....we got lots of gray squirls but very few fox squirls.........charlie

Stan Hillis 11-18-2022 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 375750)
Just for future reference two ounces of shot ARE NOT NEEDED for squirrels :rotf::rotf::rotf: Next time I decide to waylay some I’ll use my 1 1/2 ounce load of #6’s .

When I was a kid I killed enough squirrels to feed an army for the winter with my .410 and 11/16 oz. loads of 6s. Few they were that could escape that load. They had to get to a tall old pine and go to the top to be safe. Oaks, pecans and hickorys didn't get tall enough to protect them.

CraigThompson 11-18-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 375778)
When I was a kid I killed enough squirrels to feed an army for the winter with my .410 and 11/16 oz. loads of 6s. Few they were that could escape that load. They had to get to a tall old pine and go to the top to be safe. Oaks, pecans and hickorys didn't get tall enough to protect them.

When I was young I was only allowed to shoot squirrels with a 22 single shot . And if I didn’t shoot them in the head my grandfather would tell me about it :whistle: