Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1877 Lifter (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36211)

Johnny Mercer 04-19-2022 08:18 PM

1877 Lifter

15 Attachment(s)
I recently bought this Parker off the net on a whim. When it arrived, I really liked the way it looked for its age. The wear on the grips made me think it could be original. It locks up good and tight, but the barrels have some minor pitting on the inside. The forend has some damage and there is a missing part on the left side plate. Hammers and triggers work. Haven't cleaned it yet so the pictures I took was the way it came. Appreciate anything you can tell me.
Thanks Johnny

Brian Dudley 04-19-2022 09:13 PM

That is a nice early unmolested grade 2 lifter. The gun is completely original.

In this period, the grade 2 was the first to begin sculpting the breech balls. Later on it was the grade 3 and up that had them. The grade 2 was also the first level where damascus barrels were standard. Lower grades would be twist or laminated.

Johnny Mercer 04-19-2022 09:27 PM

Wow, that makes me happy to see that its original. Thank you for the other information as well.

Joe Dreisch 04-19-2022 10:53 PM

Please don't go overboard with any cleaning other than a standard bore cleaning, exterior wipe-down and grease (RIG) on the metal, and light wipe down of the wood. That gun is in quite respectable condition and any extra effort style cleanup could detract from that wonderful condition. Nice gun!

Johnny Mercer 04-19-2022 11:24 PM

I was planning on using Ballistol on the metal parts with a nylon brush. Will have to get some Rig haven't had any of that in years. Thanks for the advice I will be taking it easy.

Arthur Shaffer 04-20-2022 05:00 PM

There are usually a few old locks available; try eBay. If you can ffind a cheap one of the same type, you can probaboy get a replacement for the missing pin.

Mills Morrison 04-20-2022 05:05 PM

What the others said. I love the straight grip too

todd allen 04-20-2022 07:50 PM

That's a nice early Lifter. You'll note that there is no radius at the juncture of where the standing breech meets the water table. Not a huge deal as long as you stick with light loads, but that is a weak spot on the really early guns.
I have one of the early guns (1874) and shoot it just fine, but I am mindful of what I run through it.
Great gun! Enjoy!

Johnny Mercer 04-21-2022 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer (Post 362071)
There are usually a few old locks available; try eBay. If you can ffind a cheap one of the same type, you can probaboy get a replacement for the missing pin.

When you say lock are your talking about buying the whole metal side and the parts?

Johnny Mercer 04-21-2022 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 362074)
What the others said. I love the straight grip too

Thank you. I have never had one, but this gun feels like it was made for me. When I swing to point at a top corner of a room then look down the barrel, I'm dead on.