Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New To Parker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33113)

Foster Myers III 04-21-2021 08:38 PM

New To Parker

My Father has been collecting for years and I have recently been bitten by the parker bug. I was given a 12 gauge VHE parker on a 1 1/2 frame. Truly a thing of beauty (at least to me). He had great difficulty in getting the forend on and when he took it off we are still having the same difficulty. It seems as though the cocking toggle is not allowing the forend to engage al the way. Any thoughts on this? I am all ears, and thank you in advance for this forum. I'm really looking forward to your posts about this and others. I did try searching for tis topic but met with limited success.
Thank you
Foster

John Knobelsdorf II 04-21-2021 08:50 PM

Did you dry fire it, then take it apart?

Mills Morrison 04-21-2021 08:55 PM

Welcome Foster! Yes, try dry firing it and see if that helps.

Foster Myers III 04-21-2021 09:00 PM

Most likely yes we dried fired and took it apart. Please forgive my ignorance in all of this, my previous passion was old Ithacas and these are a bit more involved. When I attempt to put the forened on it looks like the cocking toggle is not where it should be as it hits the joint roll. Any thoughts? And thank you so very much to both of you for responding!

Mills Morrison 04-21-2021 09:05 PM

You have to get the fore end lined up just right. And sometimes it needs some wiggling around, although be careful not to force it

Foster Myers III 04-21-2021 09:07 PM

I'll give it another go! Thanks again!!

Daniel Carter 04-21-2021 09:19 PM

Your original post said it is an ejector gun, are one or both ejector hammers in the ''fired'' position? If so you need to cock them before it will go back on. Use a hard wood block to cock the hammer.

Foster Myers III 04-21-2021 09:21 PM

I am really embarrassed to say this but how exactly would I do this?

Foster Myers III 04-21-2021 09:45 PM

Looking closer, it looks like the unhooking pin that comes out of the receiver is not going down all the way, could this be part of the problem and what would it be linked to?

Daniel Carter 04-21-2021 09:48 PM

We all have a first time. Underneath the fore end are 2 round, curved hammers. If they are not cocked you use the corner of a small block of wood or a brass rod to push them forward until they cock. I am not doing a very good job of this but a few minutes of looking at it should help to figure it out. Hold the fore end in your off hand and push forward. If it is already cocked you will see the end of the hammer and that is not the problem.