Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Have you seen this mark? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36049)

Joe Dreisch 04-02-2022 01:29 PM

Have you seen this mark?

4 Attachment(s)
I have a 1 1/2 frame VH which, I'm told, was restored some time ago by the Del Grego shop. There is a mark which I have tried to capture on the right barrel flat just to the right of the unstruck barrel weight numbers which is a circle with L D G inside. Is this a stamp that was used by Del Grego at some time in the past? I can recall back when a discount was being offered by Turnbull if you allowed them to mark a gun which they restored.

Brian Dudley 04-02-2022 07:40 PM

I have not heard of DelGrego stamping their guns like that. But it is possible.

Dean Romig 04-02-2022 07:48 PM

This same question came up two or three years ago here on a different gun I believe but I don’t remember what the stamp looked like exactly, but it definitely was LDG.

edgarspencer 04-02-2022 10:39 PM

I don't claim to be an expert at much if anything, but it isn't hard to pick a Delgrego gun out of a rack of guns just by their (in)famous case colors.

Dean Romig 04-03-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 360367)
I don't claim to be an expert at much if anything, but it isn't hard to pick a Delgrego gun out of a rack of guns just by their (in)famous case colors.

...and their woodwork.

Daryl Corona 04-03-2022 11:04 AM

Not meaning to hijack your thread Joe but you had me wondering if my DelGrego skeet gun had any markings. 230236 is a 28" 20ga VH with BT, PG, ,
checkered butt with obvious DelGrego case colors. Tight up against the lug on the left barrel flat are the code LJ3, the letters D then G with a space between them, then the code LH3. It is marked skeet/in, skeet/out. The mark which looks like the Maltese falcon is there also as is another mark which I know has been discussed but not identified. His work is obvious but it looks like he didn't sign mine. The Parker overload stamp is present on both flats.

Joe Dreisch 04-03-2022 11:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Yes, Edgar, the case colors on this one were what made me believe that it was done by their shop. Not my cup of tea but the gun feels good in hand. That mark intrigued me so I thought maybe someone might recognize it.
Dean, if you were talking about the finish applied to the wood, I'm with you. This one looks like it has a very thick coating of finish which looks passable on the forend but shows numerous safe bumps on the stock from previous owners. Not very durable.
Thanks for looking, Daryl. Sounds like a very nicely configured piece! I guess I am going to have to make a call to Mr. DelGrego and ask if they may have done this at one time or another. I had been thinking that this may have been a well known fact, of which, I was unaware.
On another note, I just had a flock of turkeys running past my window to hit my Crazy 8s (chicken scratch) that I put out about an hour ago! Three gobblers with 6" beards and about 9 or so young hens.

David Noble 04-03-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 360404)
Not meaning to hijack your thread Joe but you had me wondering if my DelGrego skeet gun had any markings. 230236 is a 28" 20ga VH with BT, PG, ,
checkered butt with obvious DelGrego case colors. Tight up against the lug on the left barrel flat are the code LJ3, the letters D then G with a space between them, then the code LH3. It is marked skeet/in, skeet/out. The mark which looks like the Maltese falcon is there also as is another mark which I know has been discussed but not identified. His work is obvious but it looks like he didn't sign mine. The Parker overload stamp is present on both flats.

Daryl, trying to decipher your codes. It looks like your gun may have been made in Sept. of 1938, by the D G marking. Then some service in Feb. of 1939 by the LG3, and then again in Feb. 1940 by the LH3 marking.
The marking you mentioned that looks like a Maltese falcon, could you have meant Maltese Cross? The cross is seen on later Remington barrel flats.
That sounds like a sweet gun. Do you have a letter on it?

Dean Romig 04-03-2022 12:01 PM

230236 was manufactured in '28 or '29 and there may not be any information on it in the PGCA copies of the books that were available at the time that those records were copied at Remington. I had 230760 made in 1929 and there was no information available for a letter.

Joe D. - Yes, the finish, the stain, the checkering and the fluting at the nose of the comb.

David Noble 04-03-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 360411)
230236 was manufactured in '28 or '29 ……..

DOH! My bad on date of manufacture. I was just looking at the codes and didn’t think of using the serial number to determine the date. Lol.
Thanks Dean!