Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   They may not be Parkers... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38440)

Tyler Eding 02-07-2023 08:56 PM

They may not be Parkers...

2 Attachment(s)
These two Hunter Arms Fultons may not be Parkers, but they have been my entrance into vintage side by sides. The 20 on the left I got from an older gentleman a few years back for a song. It was his wife's gun, who sadly passed away some time in the 70's, upon which time he put it in the safe and didn't touch it until it came to me. It has an old refinish job on the wood, but is in otherwise excellent shape. I shoot it better than I should and carry it often in the grouse and woodcock woods chasing my red setter.

I liked it so much I decided to pick up the 16 on the right last year that I believe to be in excellent original condition. They are not Parkers but I have found them to be well made pieces of American craftsmanship from a different era. Not many people my age (mid 20's) appreciate older guns, especially doubles, but I am definitely hooked. I started down the rabbit hole the last few years of reading Burt Spiller, William Harnden Foster, and more, and am starting to believe I was born in the wrong era. Very glad to have found this outstanding group. While I don't have one yet I am hoping to add a Parker 16 in the coming years and start down the Parker Journey.

Attachment 113884

Attachment 113885

Jim Beilke 02-07-2023 11:07 PM

Glad to have you in the "Group". I love nothing more than to help corrupt another young man in the way of classic doubles. There are many fine field grade doubles out there Parker Trojans, Fox Sterlingworths ,Ithaca NID. The insides on these are the same as the high grade models in each brand. These are the guns you could have bought off the shelf in your small town hardware store or small sport shop "back in the day". These all add to the quality of the hunt or the clay bird shoot.

Russell E. Cleary 02-08-2023 12:32 AM

A young man with an old soul. Welcome aboard, Tyler.

You appreciate that there is intrinsic value in knowing who previously owned or hunted with a gun now in your posession. That's something we are not likely to get with an auction purchase.

I too bought a 20-gauge (a Lefever, DS) from a widower, which was the gun his wife had hunted with. The butt-plate is a non-original styled replacement. The gentleman said that the original plastic plate broke when his wife dropped the gun, butt down, on a rock during a hunt.

I have been told, "you can get an original-styled replacement for that gun". I may do that at some point, but for now I will keep the gun with that storied detail intact.

Do follow the example of Burton Lowell Spiller and William Harden Foster and add a Parker double with all prudential speed. You have come to the right place for valuable and gratuitous advice.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-08-2023 07:15 AM

Welcome aboard, Tyler. Nice looking guns. I bought my first double when I was 30, actually shot my first grouse when I was 15 with an old Stevens SXS borrowed from mu uncle.

Dennis Yager 02-08-2023 07:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fellow Michigander, were having our three day SXS shoot in May here is some information.

Phil Yearout 02-09-2023 12:41 PM

Nothing to be ashamed of with those Fultons! They look great!

Mike Franzen 02-11-2023 04:35 AM

Joining the PGCA was a smart move. You have access to so much information that isn’t available anywhere else. To maximize your membership get involved in events like the one in your home state that Den provided links to and attend PGCA events you’ll find posted in the various forums. When you go, don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and meet as many people as you can. The best way to learn about these old guns is from the people who have studied and used them for years.

Dave Noreen 02-11-2023 02:16 PM

Here are 25 pages of everything one could want to know, courtesy of Dr. Drew, about Hunter Arms Co. Fultons --

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...QiTqfS07I/edit

until the next "trade branded" version comes along.