Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Track and train collar system suggestions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39906)

Rick Roemer 08-30-2023 09:28 PM

Track and train collar system suggestions

Hi. I’ve used the Sportdog Tek 1.0 gps collars on my dogs for several years. They’ve worked well, no complaints. Recently they are not holding a charge and the company no longer supports this model. I was told they would offer a discount on a newer model since I’m a returning customer.

Before I do I’d like to ask what others have used with success?

I’d like to stick with a combination track and train model.

Thx for your feedback.

Rick

Phillip Carr 08-30-2023 11:10 PM

I really like my Garmin. I have been using the Tritronics ( now Garmin ) for about 20 years. Great system and great customer service the few times I have needed it. You can replace batteries as well as collars and antennas very easily.

Allen Peterson 08-31-2023 05:34 AM

I have been using Garmen for years and am used to it. both are good at our club people use both. I use mine for the tracking function and love it the ability to add multiple dogs and share info with other hunters is a nice feature.

Chris Pope 08-31-2023 07:01 AM

Ive had the Garmin GPS collars for almost 10 years and use them almost every day for training or just exercising the dogs. They take a beating, can handle salt water and hot temps as I leave the collars in the back of my truck when not in use. Had to replace one battery in that time. The rubber protective coating on the GPS handheld unit is almost completely worn off. According to tech support that will not affect the waterproof features or function of the unit.
I will say they are very expensive but so far the quality is there. Will likely stick with Garmin.

Dan Steingraber 08-31-2023 08:11 AM

I've been using Garmin systems for 20 years too. I've been using the Alpha 100 for a few years and love it for tracking dogs in the woods (and keeping me from getting lost) but don't care for it from a training perspective. I had a 550 + that was much better for training and has a more basic but functional tracking system.

Aaron Beck 08-31-2023 08:15 AM

Agree with all thats been said on garmin.
I will add that connectivity can be spotty, especially in overcast weather. The units do not work in all buildings, even the training features which are only reliant on radio signal. Not useful for bench work. If you have the units on inside the building and let your pooches out, there is no gaurantee that it will be connected should you need to use the collar. It will eventually reconnect but it may take a few minutes whilst your dog does as they please.
Direction and distance are helpful but not always as accurate as you might want in heavy cover, despite that they are much better than nothing when it comes to locating a dog.

Tom Jay 08-31-2023 01:30 PM

Garmin, Garmin or Garmin

Garry L Gordon 08-31-2023 08:17 PM

Yup, Garmin.

chris dawe 08-31-2023 09:02 PM

I just recently got into the sportdog 200 system ,its the only legal option in Canada and the price was right ,its a nice system fast update and accurate,I know lots of guys running the garmin up here successfully it's an excellent system but it was too much of an outlay of money for me to risk having it shag up with the Canadian satellite
Would not hesitate to buy either

Dave Tatman 09-01-2023 09:35 AM

Rick, I just got an email from Gun Dog Supply, announcing their September sale on all Garmin products. I think they are knocking up to $100 off on Garmin systems.

I have no interest or connection to GDS, other than being a satisfied customer.

Dave