Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please help determine value and condition of my Parker Brothers 16 gauge (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32974)

Kevin VanDuinen 04-03-2021 10:53 PM

Please help determine value and condition of my Parker Brothers 16 gauge

5 Attachment(s)
Made in 1907 I believe. My great grandfather passed while I was a child and left this beautiful 16 gauge side by side for me. It’s a family heirloom. I occasionally hunt rabbits with it as I found it was easy to shoulder and aim in dense cover. I would say it’s maybe shot 10 times a year. The serial # is 141876. The frame size is 1. Weight of the barrels is 3(4). Made of Vulcan steel. The barrel is 26” long and in excellent condition but has one 1” scratch and two very very small dents. If there is any more info you need to help determine the value please let me know.

Kevin VanDuinen 04-03-2021 11:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A couple more pictures

Dean Romig 04-04-2021 08:13 AM

I would suggest ordering a PGCA research letter on your Parker. The price is $100 for non-members and $40 for members. I would suggest becoming a member for $40 and then order the letter for $40.

Having said that, it looks like your VH has a replacement buttstock and the barrels appear to have been cut/shortened.

Harold Lee Pickens 04-21-2021 09:45 AM

Agree with Dean on stock and barrels, but still a nice old "shooter". My favorite Parker also has has cut barrels, but is my favorite grouse gun. I would just enjoy shooting/hunting with GGF shotgun. The gun is about 115 yrs old, and sure would have alot of stories to tell.

Mills Morrison 04-21-2021 10:02 AM

Looks like a respectable gun, flaws above noted though.

Andrew Sacco 04-21-2021 10:11 AM

I have a VH in 16g with factory 26" barrels, and while I prefer 28", the gun is great in tight quarters and carries easily. I'd shoot it and enjoy it especially since it's a family gun. That makes it special right there and more so because it's a Parker.

Bill Murphy 04-21-2021 01:14 PM

Information, probably order book information, is available on your gun. This woould probably include original barrel length and the name of the original person or company who purchased your gun 114 years ago. Interesting stuff. A picture of the rib at the muzzle would tell us more about the originality of the barrel length. A straight on picture of the stock and action would tell us more about the originality of the stock wood. Let's also see a picture of that pistol grip cap from the bottom. Great gun any of us would love to own.

Bruce Hering 04-21-2021 01:20 PM

I have a question regarding the comments above on barrels being shortened:

Looking at the muzzle picture the OP provided it appears to me the the barrel walls are touching and the plugs seem to be in order. I have seen 28" guns cut to 26 and they all showed noticeable space between the barrels at the muzzle which would indicate to me that they have not been cut. I would assume a research letter would solve this question.

Comments would be appreciated by me.... Thanks

Gerald McPherson 04-21-2021 02:44 PM

Do the numbers match on the fame, trigger guard and forearm iorn?

Dean Romig 04-21-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Hering (Post 332599)
Looking at the muzzle picture the OP provided it appears to me the the barrel walls are touching and the plugs seem to be in order.

I don't see any evidence of "plugs" in place. To me it looks like those triangular sections below both the top and bottom ribs and made of plain lead. If the barrels had been shortened by Parker Bros. the steel keels would have been replaced.