Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who was Wentz Parker? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3977)

Bill Dwyer 03-29-2011 08:12 PM

Who was Wentz Parker?

I picked up an old musket that looks like it could have been owned by Daniel Boone. It has a beautiful full length Tiger stripe stock. It is very early percussion. It has US stamped on it and several other proof marks that I don't know what they mean. It has rifle sights but what looks like a shotgun barrel? It has beautiful polished brass crutiments. The locks say Wentz Parker warranted. The story that I got with this weapon was that it was a proto type made for the military. It converted it to percussion . One of the first percussion weapons? Who knows. It certainly is a beautiful classical piece. The story also goes that Went Parker was one of the early "Parker Bros" Who knows. Any help appreciated.

Dean Romig 03-29-2011 08:21 PM

Can you post some pictures so we can all enjoy it and possibly offer some information?

Bill Dwyer 03-29-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 39388)
Can you post some pictures so we can all enjoy it and possibly offer some information?

Sure: I just took some. The weapon stands 57 inches tall. It has rifle sights. The bore measures just about 3/4" inside diameter. I got to figure how to post them? Cheers!

Dean Romig 03-29-2011 09:41 PM

We have a picture posting tutorial link on our home page.

Bill Dwyer 03-29-2011 11:06 PM

Go to my albums and see it!

Dean Romig 03-29-2011 11:11 PM

It looks to me like it says "Henry Parker" on the side plate.

Bill Dwyer 03-29-2011 11:26 PM

You are absolutely right! It goes better with the srory That I was told about how this weapon was one of the first conversions for the government from open ignition to percussion. Who was Henry Parker? Thanks, Bill

Dean Romig 03-30-2011 05:55 AM

Henry Parker was not a gun maker but was a lock maker in Trenton NJ and died in 1860.
I just learned this by going to GOOGLE and typing in "henry parker gun maker".

calvin humburg 03-30-2011 07:56 AM

Well I wonder if it was a conversion when did cap lock get common. neet gun! can you see a name on barrel

Bill Dwyer 03-30-2011 09:54 AM

I don't see a name. I see US and other proof marks. They used Flint locks until the 1830's
Then they converted many of them to percussion. I am told by the former owner that this was one of the first government conversions? Anyway it is a beautiful work of art. It belongs in a museum. IT has been in a glass case hanging on a wall for the last twenty five years. the condition is remarkable. Lockmakers made sidelocks for weapons Thanks for all your help!