Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   32” Sunday (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38726)

Mike Koneski 03-14-2023 08:24 AM

Grasshopper, choke is irrelevant. Put the muzzles at the right place and you will break the bird. :clap:

John Davis 03-14-2023 10:58 AM

Choke for smoke.

CraigThompson 03-14-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 384658)
Grasshopper, choke is irrelevant. Put the muzzles at the right place and you will break the bird. :clap:

I’d rather have 100 chipped targets than 99 ink balls and one that got away :whistle: An X is an X don’t grade uhm :cool:

Stan Hillis 03-14-2023 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 384665)
I’d rather have 100 chipped targets than 99 ink balls and one that got away :whistle: An X is an X don’t grade uhm :cool:

That's really a "created scenario" that rarely happens. The fact is that "smoke" creates self-confidence, whereas chips do not. And, self confidence makes you a better shot. I'll put my money on a sporting clays shooter that prefers tight chokes. I've shot nothing but .020" and .020" in my Perazzi 31 1/2" MX 8 since about 2008. Punched into M class in 2010. Never seen the need for screw-ins in that gun. If I have a close-in, erratic, rabbit target I drop in a spreader and handle it that way.

Different chokes for different "fokes".

CraigThompson 03-14-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 384690)
That's really a "created scenario" that rarely happens. The fact is that "smoke" creates self-confidence, whereas chips do not. And, self confidence makes you a better shot. I'll put my money on a sporting clays shooter that prefers tight chokes. I've shot nothing but .020" and .020" in my Perazzi 31 1/2" MX 8 since about 2008. Punched into M class in 2010. Never seen the need for screw-ins in that gun. If I have a close-in, erratic, rabbit target I drop in a spreader and handle it that way.

I’m not disagreeing , but I’ve personally been down both roads . I’ll still take 100 visible chips any day .

Mike Koneski 03-14-2023 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 384664)
Choke for smoke.

AMEN!!

Mike Koneski 03-14-2023 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 384690)

I do the same thing Stan. I change shot size depending on the target. Also use spreaders for bunnies. I can truly say I’ve never missed a target because of too much choke but I have picked up targets due to tighter chokes.

John Davis 03-15-2023 05:42 AM

Here’s my prescription for trap: Full choke for singles; tight full for handicap; modified for first shot in doubles and full for second shot. #8 shot for singles and first shot in doubles; #7 1/2 shot in handicap and second shot in doubles. Works for me.

And I’ll take the middle road. I go for ink balls but will take whatever I can get.

Bill Murphy 03-15-2023 07:24 AM

I am a lucky sporting clays shooter, in that I am not looking for a high 90s score and don't lament the occasional miss caused by my tight chokes. As long as we're sharing old shooting quotes, let me give you one that has not been used on this thread. "The great majority of misses are not measured in inches. Most are measured in feet." The size of the pattern does not cause anywhere near as many misses as lifted heads and peeking at sights. Just my experience.

CraigThompson 03-15-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 384715)
I am a lucky sporting clays shooter, in that I am not looking for a high 90s score and don't lament the occasional miss caused by my tight chokes. As long as we're sharing old shooting quotes, let me give you one that has not been used on this thread. "The great majority of misses are not measured in inches. Most are measured in feet." The size of the pattern does not cause anywhere near as many misses as lifted heads and peeking at sights. Just my experience.

100’s for me are in relation to skeet/trap as to that other so called game if I’m over 80% I’m pleased .