Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parker Factory Communications (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37025)

Dean Romig 08-06-2022 12:25 PM

Parker Factory Communications

2 Attachment(s)
I keep rummaging around in my gun room/library and periodically come across something else that I've seen before but put away for safe-keeping. Some of these things came to me in the things Austin gave me.

I came across this three page letter written in 1967 by and to Remington employees.

It's very interesting and I thought I'd share some of it here.

Some of the things referenced in the letter are not in the PGCA Researcher's possession and are simply not available at all.

allen newell 08-06-2022 01:39 PM

What a shame that apparently Remington didnt have the foresight to safeguard and protect those records

Dean Romig 08-06-2022 01:45 PM

I agree Allen - what a loss.

Brian Dudley 08-06-2022 07:13 PM

Very interesting Dean.

There is documentation at the factory of orders given by some department head (I believe in the 1950s) to throw out anything pertaining to Double Gun production. Which would align with the estimate of around 12-13 years before that 1967 letter. In the early 1950s Remington was toying with offering a “Parker” again, in name only. An economy boxlock of their own design, much like the Lefever Nitro Special was at Ithaca. But after that never actually happened, this destruction of double gun records pretty much tells what the companies mindset was towards them.
Apart from them purchasing Parker, the company had not made a double gun since the 1894/1900, which ended in what, 1905 or 1910 or something.? Their deal became repeaters.

Dave Noreen 08-08-2022 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In February 1910, Remington Arms Co. concluded a deal with Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware Company of St Louis for their entire inventory of break-action guns finished and in work. This letter was pictured in Roy Marcot's Remington book --

Attachment 109060

I wonder if Remington or Norvell-Shapleigh finished the "in process" guns?

Dean Romig 08-08-2022 03:39 PM

I hope this thread may be the start of a new Topic line of posts from other Members who may have in their possession such factory communications or legitimate copies thereof, and would like to share them in order to broaden our knowledge base of the history of these companies, especially as they pertain to Parker Guns but, come one come all!

Bill Murphy 08-10-2022 04:35 PM

Thanks for your post, Dean. Sent a PM.

Garry L Gordon 08-10-2022 06:17 PM

At the recent Rock Island premiere auction there were two lots of Parker paper items. One of them had a great deal of correspondence items. The other had just catalogs. I got the catalogs, but someone else got some very interesting pieces of Parker history in the other lot. Perhaps it was someone here on the forum? I'm hoping so. Maybe whomever can add to Dean's materials.

Dean Romig 08-10-2022 11:29 PM

I sure hope so Garry!