Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Of beans and things...fillers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33166)

Andrew Sacco 04-29-2021 07:21 PM

Of beans and things...fillers

The reloading thing is very new to me. Some of the recipes I have tried, with the limited materials I can get and limited primers, don't quite work out, and since I'm loading #9 or #8 sometimes my shot is a little short and crimping is tough. I'm assuming I can use felt or cork in the shot cup or over shot cards to correct this without causing major problems? The issue is finding these in stock. Do folks put a "bean" in the bottom of the cup or Cheerio? Are any other materials used, and finally, when does anyone use a Nitro card to adjust the shot column up? I have some of those but haven't used them. Thanks for the hand holding on this. I picked a really crappy time to learn to load shot shells!

edgarspencer 04-29-2021 07:32 PM

Not being able to get my preferred wad, I'm using another which puts the shot just a hair low in the hull for a good crimp. A single overshot card is all it took. No difference in pattern.

William Davis 04-29-2021 07:59 PM

Adjusting the crimp best solution, overshot wad next best. I have used a dry bean as a quick fix too. Lot of guys use a Cheerio, I find they often crush on crimping and allow excess space. Overshot has no effect on pattern can’t say what a dry bean does to patterns

My 10 G shells need a lot of filler using the SP10 wad. 16G Fiber wad split with a knife to size & depending on shot charge bottom of the shot cup works best.

William

Andrew Sacco 04-29-2021 08:50 PM

Ok so it sounds like I’m doing nothing wrong. But it sure slows me down doing all that stuff!

edgarspencer 04-30-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 333180)
Adjusting the crimp best solution, overshot wad next best.

I don't disagree, William, however, the only available wad leaves too much hull to fold into a nice Pie crimp. If adding an overshot card to bring the total charge up to get a nice crimp, 6 slices of pie,(now i'm hungry) then I consider the press properly adjusted.
I know people use cheerios, but once its crushes into powder, and migrates into the voids around the shot pellets, There's going to be a loose charge, without good compaction. I see random patterns in that scenario.

Daniel Carter 04-30-2021 08:17 AM

I have a set of punches from Harbor Freight ( cheap) that i use to make under shot fillers from various materials to get the crimp i want. Some of the things i have used are cardboard, felt carpet padding, foam, foam meat trays, you get the idea. Find the thing that is light and the right thickness, takes a little time but i have a liking for light shot charges on clay targets.

Andrew Sacco 04-30-2021 08:39 AM

I appreciate the feedback and I'm going to Harbor Freight today as luck has it. I'm using once fired Rio blue, again all I can find while I accumulate my once fired RST and Nitro's. No matter how I adjust it, it won't crimp unless I do an under shot pad or over shot card. Then it crimps pretty nicely. I never thought a cheerio sounded smart. I read on one forum a dude was using lentils but counting out lentils sounds like too much work.

Victor Wasylyna 04-30-2021 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Andy:

I prefer these fiber wads from Ballistic Products. They have 16 ga (for loading 10 ga) in stock. Not sure what size you need, but check them out.

-Victor

Rick Losey 04-30-2021 12:45 PM

wads and cards if you need to fill more than a little - circle fly is also a good source
lots of recipes - especially light 10ga loads list them

I do use cheerios when only a little fill is needed - even used bamboo curls from rod planning a few times

edgarspencer 04-30-2021 02:04 PM

A bag of dried beans also works. Jacob’s Cattle for more filler, Yellow Eye for less.