Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How about Fishing with Jay Gardner? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1964)

John Dallas 06-06-2010 08:32 AM

How about Fishing with Jay Gardner?

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of Jay rigging up his wood fish pole for a day in my riverboat on the South Branch of the Au Sable (Mich, not NY) We floated to his club where he provided a great lunch, and we picked up a buddy of his, and continued onto the Mainstream. Given that we were going to be going through some slow stretches, I hoped that Jay would have brought the canoe paddle of a 28 Ga, that Brad Batchelder recently refinished, but no such luck.

No fish were harmed during this adventure, although a number did get a sore lip, but were released carefully

Harry Collins 06-06-2010 10:42 AM

John,

That must have been alot of fun. Did you build the boat? It looks like a ply on frame and nicely done.

Harry

John Dallas 06-06-2010 11:27 AM

No, I didn't build the boat. Built by Gary Willoughby in Grayling. The design is unique to this area. Has been around for well over 100 years. Was originally used for moving freight to the logging camps.

It's a great way to see the river, and spend time with good friends. Kinda like a mobile duck blind in that respect.

Harry Collins 06-06-2010 05:38 PM

Thanks John. I spent most of my adult life at sea and most of my life around boats. Your boat has very nice lines and I am taken with it.

Harry

Jay Gardner 06-09-2010 09:56 PM

Mr. Dallas, sorry not to have responded earlier but I just made it back home and finally have the bandwidth to go online. It was indeed a pleasure floating the South Branch with you and brother Frazee and I am already looking forward to next years adventure. Speaking of adventures, a missed turn yesterday on my way out of Grayling landed me in a substantial tract of prime grouse habitat. If you have one of those M21's with open chokes I'll be happy to host you for a day afield. If not I'll loan you my 28 ga boat "paddle".

On a related note, I think I warned you that Ken was the better angler and he proved it Sunday morning by landing a 19" brown that was built like a football right in front of the club a few steps from where we had lunch.

Tight lines and flying feathers,

Jay

John Dallas 06-10-2010 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta love those fishy footballs. Here's one I got to know pretty well on the Manistee

I'll oil up the 20 ga. M21 Skeet with the 26" IC/Mod barrels and we'll give those dogs of yours a workout

Dave Fuller 06-10-2010 08:27 PM

That brown looks like a Humpy with spots. I really enjoy seeing photos from peoples exploits afield - thanks.

Dean Romig 06-10-2010 09:34 PM

I don't know why they're called brown trout - they should be called 'jeweled amber trout'

A beautiful trout! They eat pretty good, huh?

Jay Gardner 06-10-2010 09:57 PM

Geez, John. Can you say "pig"? Wow.