Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lifter and Grouse! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2656)

Mark Landskov 10-21-2010 05:49 PM

Lifter and Grouse!

1 Attachment(s)
I walked for 7 hours today. The Lifter got pretty heavy, real quick! Hunting Ruffed Grouse with a hammer gun, for the first time, is a humbling experience! Cheers!

Jack Cronkhite 10-21-2010 05:56 PM

Mark: Nicely done and congrats on 7 hours hauling the lifter. I can't make out the ammo. What did you use in your lifter.
Cheers,
Jack

Mark Landskov 10-21-2010 07:10 PM

Thanks, Jack. I use Polywad Vintagers. They carry a 7/8 ounce load of 7-1/2s.

charlie cleveland 10-21-2010 08:16 PM

good looking lifter what ga..better to have to much gun than not enough... ive never got to hunt grouse but must be a experiance.. those sure are good looking birds...do they eat well...charlie

Dean Romig 10-21-2010 08:43 PM

Grouse are exceptionally good eating. Breasts of course are white meat with just a hint of a tangy nutty flavor while the thighs are darker and tougher. Right up there among my favorite two or three gamebirds.

Mark Landskov 10-21-2010 09:27 PM

Charlie, it's a 12 gauge. Ruffed Grouse are a challenge as they flush quite unexpectedly. If you happen to see them before they take off, you still need to be quick! That is where the challenge was for me and the hammers. The one I finally got was behind a large rock making all sorts of noise. I cocked the hammers and proceeded around the rock to investigate. He was heading away from me and spreading his wings when I shot him. I don't have a dog, so I rely on my own stealth, silence and observation! Dean is right, they are very good eating. Cheers!

Dean Romig 10-21-2010 10:29 PM

Mark, do you shoot skeet? It was invented to help grouse hunters to be quick at the gun mount and accurate in giving the proper lead and follow through on those fast-flushing pa'tridge.

Mark Landskov 10-22-2010 07:45 AM

Dean, now that I am into my 2nd retirement, I have given thought to some sort of shooting activities. Skeet would certainly help hone my process. With this being my first time with a hammergun, the notion of drawing those hammers back when a grouse flushes, and still have a sporting shot, is my concern. I carried the gun with hammers down, and cocked them when my 'insides told me to'. I have had some success with my hammerless guns when the grouse flush from the tall grass. Could be better, though! Cheers!

Harry Collins 10-22-2010 08:46 AM

Mark,

In the early 70's I shot skeet with a hammer gun while stationed in Naples, Italy. Down gun and hammers and when I called for the bird I would cock a hammer. On doubles I would cock the right hammer on the way up for the first bird, drop the gun off my shoulder and cock the left barrel for the second bird. I shot in the high 90's. Station 8 was my worst.

Harry

Larry Frey 10-22-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 26297)
Mark,

On doubles I would cock the right hammer on the way up for the first bird, drop the gun off my shoulder and cock the left barrel for the second bird. I shot in the high 90's. Station 8 was my worst.

Harry

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: