Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parker safety question (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37401)

Stan Hillis 09-25-2022 08:11 PM

Parker safety question

So, since last dove season I had the triggers lightened/tuned on my 16/20 ga. DHE, Caroline. They were 8 and 9 lbs., which i couldn't tolerate, and had them set at 3 1/2 and 4 lbs. I've used it on a few dove shoots this season already and love the triggers. But, one thing I've noticed that I don't remember being present before the trigger job ......... is that when I unbreech the gun to reload, and close it, the safety has a "hard spot" when you push it OFF. But, after you push it to OFF once, and slide it back to ON, it works very easily, and as you would suspect. The safety works properly except for the little hard spot the first time.

Anyone have an idea what's going on with that?

CraigThompson 09-25-2022 08:21 PM

I have a couple that do basically the same thing yours does . A couple I've had that did that it was cured by taking them apart then cleaning and lubricating . But I would assume yours was cleaned and lubricated when you had them lightened so that throws my theory atleast in your case out the window .

Brian Dudley 09-26-2022 10:50 AM

It is likely the safety reset rod is hanging up in its channel some. The wood could have swelled a bit and caused this. If all else is original and was not messed with, that is the first and mostly likely thing that could have happened.

Stan Hillis 09-26-2022 06:16 PM

Thanks, Brian. But, if the reset rod is hanging in the channel how would it free itself up after the first time it is moved from SAFE to FIRE? To rephrase it, after it is moved once it is freed up and moves easily until the gun is opened again. And, it only happened after the triggers were tuned to a lighter trigger weight pull by Jim Kelly.

P.S. Is it possible that the reset rod is moving itself over a tiny bit after binding in the channel the first time, and that it stays there until the gun in unbreeched again? If that's the case a tiny bit of oil on the spot that's "hanging up" could solve it.(?)

Brian Dudley 09-26-2022 08:18 PM

The reset rod only moves back when the top lever is opened. The first time you push the safety off, the rod moves forward. And never moves back again until the gun is opened.

Stan Hillis 09-27-2022 07:37 AM

Gotcha. Thanks much, Brian!

Brian Dudley 09-27-2022 07:45 AM

The best first step would be to take the stock off, remove the bushing and reset rod. Clean the rod and run a drill bit in the hole for the rod to clean it out and open it up just a hair.

Daniel Carter 09-27-2022 04:45 PM

There are those who have knowledge and there are those who share knowledge. They are very different people. We are blessed to have many of the latter in this group. Thank you Brian for being one of them.

Daryl Corona 09-27-2022 07:03 PM

I just had a 20ga A grade Fox worked on for a doubling problem and while in the smith's shop I had him replace both sears and adjust pulls to 3.5 and 4. I also have a standing instruction with him to disconnect the safety and make it manual on any gun he works on for me. One less part involved.

Stan Hillis 09-27-2022 07:52 PM

i will definitely remove the safety reset rod. I've done so on several other make guns but this is my first Parker and I'm still in the learning curve.

Thanks so much for the valuable info.