Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help ID'n &value (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36828)

NateHawley 07-10-2022 10:34 PM

Help ID'n &value

4 Attachment(s)
Alright new to the parker brothers shotguns ownership, but need some help, recently purchased this gun having trouble ID'n it
Looks like the rib/locking bar has been repaired
Looks like the barrel has been reblued
Possible re case colored

Looking for some help on type of barrel grade and value.
Thanks in advance

Nate

NateHawley 07-10-2022 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pics

Dean Romig 07-10-2022 10:51 PM

Being kind, I can only say I wish you had contacted us before you bought it.

The WMM3 stamped on the barrel flat indicates it went to Remington Arms in Ilion NY for repair or service in August of 1943. There are no records indicating what was done on that visit to the factory.

NateHawley 07-10-2022 11:27 PM

Dean, I appreciate the kindness, but I'm more of a give it to me straight guy. What would you say the value is of the gun? bores are clean no pitting or dents, hammers work. PS i didn't pay a retail price I did Ok on it. and or what does the work to the gun do to the value of it?

NateHawley 07-10-2022 11:29 PM

Dean, I appreciate the kindness, but I'm more of a give it to me straight guy. What would you say the value is of the gun? bores are clean no pitting or dents, hammers work. PS i didn't pay a retail price I did Ok on it. and or what does the work to the gun do to the value of it?

Dean Romig 07-11-2022 12:15 AM

I don’t think I’m qualified to nail a price tag on it. Maybe someone else would like to tackle that task.

David Noble 07-11-2022 05:10 AM

Nate, the gun is a P grade (grade 1) with blued twist steel barrels. The number 1 size frame has been recase colored, likely by the cyanide process but it looks pretty good considering.
I agree there has been something going on with the top rib, possibly resoldered, being the rib and the rib extension are not aligned. It appears someone removed the (Twist) barrel steel marking (and part of the matting) before the reblue. I’d have it checked by a competent gunsmith to determine if it was hot blued which could loosen the rib soldering over time.
You didn’t mention gauge and I don’t have the ID & Serialization book handy, so it could be 20, 16 or 12. The gauge would factor into the value.
If the gun checks out as solid it could be a good shooter but have little real collector value.

Mike Franzen 07-11-2022 07:07 AM

Hey Nate, welcome to the PGCA. My first thought seeing the case coloring, the missing rib inscription and the blued barrels was someone tried to disguise the fact the gun didn’t have fluid steel barrels. It’s hard to make out but if 60120 is the SN then it’s a 12 gauge and left the factory with 28” barrels. To you, the value of the gun is whatever you paid for it. Seeing composite barrels that have been blued can be a red flag and should be checked out by someone who knows what they’re doing to determine their shoot ability. The stock, if it’s factory, didn’t originally come with checkering on the cheek pieces. That could be another sign of an attempt to hide a repair. Post more pictures of the gun showing both sides, bottom, stock, forearm and the muzzle. Measure the barrel length, stock, DAC, DAH, LOP. The more you can provide the more accurate evaluation you will get.

Dean Romig 07-11-2022 08:02 AM

Absolutely have those barrels checked for thin spots. They show signs of pretty aggressive sanding or put to a wire wheel judging by the barrel fit to the standing breech. The breech edges of the barrels are rounded where there should be a smooth transition from barrels to breech.

The forend checkering pattern is that of a Grade 2 gun.

Bill Murphy 07-12-2022 01:11 PM

The gun is an example of a 60s or 70s faked up Parker, an attempt to hide the fact that it had composite barrels. Hundreds if not thousands of Parkers were destroyed in this manner before we gained respect for composite barrels. The "T" on the barrel flat confirms that the barrels were originally twist steel.