Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   High grade floorplate subjects (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39293)

Brian Dudley 05-26-2023 03:00 PM

High grade floorplate subjects

1 Attachment(s)
I always find the engraving subjects on high grade Parkers interesting. Since grades B and above were pretty much all unique in one way or another. You never know what to expect.

This is an interesting one that I saw at the Southern. An AH that has a greyhound with a dead rabbit on its plate.

Attachment 116858

Phillip Carr 05-26-2023 04:58 PM

That's pretty cool. Special request by a hunter that loved to hunt with Greyhounds I bet.
We had a track here since 1944 and only just closed last year. Those dogs are really fast.

Garry L Gordon 05-26-2023 06:04 PM

Brian, that’s a unique engraving. I’m actually a bit surprised that more B grade guns don’t have more unique designs.

edgarspencer 05-27-2023 08:48 AM

I've been fortunate to have had a couple B grades, and both had a pair of Elk, or some such critter, on the floor plates. Both were also 6 dog guns. The trigger bow treatments are equally interesting. The scroll work on my 16ga (1 frame) BH has very fine engraving, and the 'Parker Bros" banner is so tiny, you almost have to hunt for it.
Perhaps it's only my imagination, but it seems that because of the extent of engraving, the trigger plates may have received a lesser degree of hardening, and are occasionally scratched up a bit more than lower grades.

Brian Dudley 05-27-2023 08:52 AM

It was supposed to be Parker “policy” that guns of A and above be unique. I expanded this to B in my statement above due to the observation that though most B grades do have a basic standard to their engraving. There is some individuality expressed in their game engraving as compared to lower grades.

Larry Stauch 02-21-2024 05:50 PM

8 dog B grade 12 gauge

5 Attachment(s)
I guess this is an 8 dog gun then; 2 on each side, 2 on the trigger guard and these 2 on the bottom.
X
X
X

CraigThompson 02-21-2024 06:16 PM

Seems elk/stags or deer are represented well on the floor plates , does anyone have a recollection of a moose being on the floor plate or the reciever sides ?

Dean Romig 02-22-2024 01:43 PM

Brian - in the day that gun was engraved, such dogs were called "coursing dogs" and were bred for the chase.

Craig - I've seen just one with a moose on the floor plate but I can't remember where or when.

Phillip Carr 02-22-2024 04:20 PM

The most beautiful Parker I have personally held was a DHE with a full detailed strutting turkey. I only got to hold it for a few minutes before the customer picked it up from the local shop.
I wish I would have arrived at the shop 20 minutes earlier.
As far as I know the 12 gauge is still here in Tucson.
Had I had a chance I would have attempted to buy this gun.
Crazy, as it was only a DHE.
I hope fate will send it my way. It had a bad ejector and the shop disabled the ejectors as he didn't have parts.

Craig Larter 02-22-2024 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are 3 BHE's from my collection. All a little different.