Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Freezer clearing ! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37389)

CraigThompson 09-23-2022 05:59 PM

Freezer clearing !

1 Attachment(s)
Still attempting to get my freezer emptied of last years take before I start replacing this season . Anyway two weeks ago I thawed two tenderloin and found I had no bacon . So I seasoned overnight same as usual and when I got ready to pan fry put a decent sized spoonful of Crisco in the pan . Now let it be said right now I’ve never used that stuff before . That can of Crisco was originally purchased to use on minnie balls in 1861 Springfield’s which I never got around to doing . Anyway tenderloin pan fried in Crisco about three minutes on a side is pretty darn good . I’ve done it I think five times in the last two weeks . Served with mixed vegetables and rice or green beans and potatoes I’m finding rather tastey !

charlie cleveland 09-23-2022 06:32 PM

you gona have to climb lots of trees eating that good cooking...charlie

Joe Dreisch 09-23-2022 07:57 PM

That looks superb!! I have used bacon grease, bacon wrapped, or butter. Never tried Crisco although I just read a post where a fellow was frying snakehead (fish) in Maryland using Crisco. He said it tasted wonderful....! Thanks for the tip.

CraigThompson 09-23-2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dreisch (Post 372389)
That looks superb!! I have used bacon grease, bacon wrapped, or butter. Never tried Crisco although I just read a post where a fellow was frying snakehead (fish) in Maryland using Crisco. He said it tasted wonderful....! Thanks for the tip.

I’ve had several people tell me those fish are tastey . When I was a kid my mother used Crisco some then it seems to me most were against it for cholesterol intake . But it has a decent taste ! I’m big on bacon wrapped , but that may have ceased since having to use Crisco . At the beginning of the season I try and keep two or three hearts to dredge in flour and fry , this year I’ll try that in Crisco as well vs Canola Oil .

CraigThompson 09-23-2022 11:05 PM

I e got about ten pounds of hind quarter venison I was saving for stew . Think I’ll take all that and make burger or breakfast sausage .

Daryl Corona 09-24-2022 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dreisch (Post 372389)

Snakeheads are delicious, no limit and fight like a Tarpon. Win, win, win!

Joe Dreisch 09-24-2022 10:39 AM

Snakeheads

4 Attachment(s)
We spent a week in the end of July at a waterfront VRBO in Wittman, MD (just below St. Michael's). I brought a light action spinning rod and some light jigs to catch white perch from the pier. On the next to last day I saw a snakehead of about 3' long swim out from under the pier! I had never seen one before so I proceeded to cast the water into a froth trying to catch him!!!! No luck but what a fish!!!
This guy had a bit better luck!

CraigThompson 09-24-2022 03:19 PM

I used to hunt around and on the Blackwater NWR quite a bit for Sika deer . But I saw a lot of Bald Eagles . One place we used to lease is now part of the NWR and it was quite close to the area the Blackwater called the “eagle nesting area” .

CraigThompson 09-25-2022 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pan fried tenderloin again tonight with green beans n taters ! I may have done my last tenderloin wrapped with bacon now that I stumbled on the Crisco :rotf:

CraigThompson 09-30-2022 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little twist on the usual ! Venison tenderloin , green beans n potatoes along with a piece of mahi mahi :whistle: