Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bone Collecting (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38528)

Harold Lee Pickens 02-17-2023 04:32 PM

Bone Collecting

3 Attachment(s)
A successful shed hunt at my farm today surprised me. Still have more ground to cover. This is a waterfall below my cabin.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-17-2023 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More and yes all of those found today.

Phil Yearout 02-17-2023 05:29 PM

Nice ones! In all my years of tramping bird covers I can count the number of sheds I've found on 1/2 of one hand, and none as nice that entire skull for sure! My bro-in-law did find one once by backing over it and ruining a tire.

Joe Dreisch 02-17-2023 05:32 PM

Beautiful dogs. Do they help find the antlers? I knew a few Labs that were very good at it. Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's like being there!

Harold Lee Pickens 02-17-2023 07:06 PM

No, didnt have dogs with me. Was going to take one and hopefully run into some woodcock, but hard to keep track of dogs and scan ground for sheds at the same time. Was looking for the sheds of some much bigger deer that frequent the farm. Ive always been fairly successful shed hunting.

Randy G Roberts 02-17-2023 07:52 PM

Good job Harold. I went down to the farm this afternoon and took an hour and 45 minute walk looking for sheds, came back with a big fat zero. Maybe at the Southern you can give me a free eye exam, something's outta whack :)

Harold Lee Pickens 02-17-2023 08:00 PM

I got real lucky today--found so many I had to go back to the truck to get rid of them.

Richard Flanders 02-17-2023 08:27 PM

Antler hunting and selling is a big business up here. Nice fresh moose and caribou antler wholesales at about $6/# last I knew. I sold a huge pair of caribou sheds one year for $125. The main beams were the biggest I have ever seen anywhere. I made a months wages selling a 6ft-long mammoth tusk that was in excellent condition and which I found while prospecting north of Nome some years back. I know of places where there are thousands of pounds of mammoth tusks piled in the bushes at remote placer gold mines, all pretty much disintegrated and shelled up though so with little value, unfortunately.

Arthur Shaffer 02-17-2023 09:30 PM

We hardly ever find a shed in Kentucky because of the abundant mice etc who need the calcium.

I remember once in hunting the Red Desert in Wyoming we found a few acres of open area on the south face of a hill overlooking a canyon. There were so many sheds that you couldn't move a pickup for them. The guide and I spent about 15 minutes picking up and filled an 8 foot pickup bed. Took them back to camp to use as a display. Apparently the key is it was too dry for scavangers to live there.

Harry Gietler 04-08-2023 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 382765)
Good job Harold. I went down to the farm this afternoon and took an hour and 45 minute walk looking for sheds, came back with a big fat zero. Maybe at the Southern you can give me a free eye exam, something's outta whack :)

How can you find ''SHEDS'' when you Shot them all.

Harry